UPS LOST MY TRADE-IN IPHONE BUT THE SENDER IS VERIZON AND I CAN T BE REIMBOURSED
joelle1059
Enthusiast - Level 1

I traded in my iPhone through Verizon's trade-in program in January of this year and received my new iPhone 12 pro max. Verizon provided me with a box and a label shipment to return my old iPhone. I used the return box and shipping label, providing the package to UPS. When I attempted to track the shipment, I was advised by UPS that the package was lost.

Since Verizon never received my iPhone within the allowed period, it canceled my promotion. I called Verizon with the proof of my shipment and the tracking number. I was instructed to open a direct investigation with UPS, which I promptly did. UPS opened an investigation and asked to call back in 10 days,

When I called UPS back, I was transferred to the UPS claim department, where an agent gave me my claim number.

The agent said that UPS was willing to reimburse the lost package but could not reimburse me directly as Verizon was the sender. For them to go on with this claim, they needed Verizon to call them and provide them the value of the phone and other details.

I called Verizon's trade-in program and told them what the UPS agent had told me. They put me on hold while they called UPS. I was then informed that Verizon was expecting a form from UPS in less than 24 hours and that they would call me back.

A week went by, and Verizon never called me back. I followed up with Verizon three times in three weeks. Each time I had to start my story from the beginning because each new person that took over the file had to begin from the beginning, and each time they promised me that Verizon would call me back, something they never did, although it appears that they put notes on my file each time.

The last time I called yesterday in mid-March, the Verizon agent transferred me to his superior due to my frustration. To my surprise, the supervisor told me that the trade-in program would not help me. He said that because Verizon did not have my trade-in device, it could neither refund the value of that iPhone nor put me back in their trade-in program. Further, the supervisor told me that only the Verizon warehouse could deal with UPS and package loss. The only way for Verizon agents to communicate with the warehouse was to open a ticket and send it to them. This supervisor assured me that they had sent several tickets to the warehouse and that I had to wait at least 12 days. This, although a first ticket, has been opened at the end of January – almost two months from today. I asked for the phone number and email of the warehouse and was told neither was available, and the only means of communicating with the warehouse was via tickets.

I am caught in a no-win situation. Trusting in the Verizon trade-in program, I paid for an expensive new device that I would not have bought without the deal offered. Because the trade-in phone was lost in Verizon's transit, I have been dropped from that program and have lost the benefit of the trade-in value of the original phone. And yet, I cannot claim a refund for my original phone since it was sent as a Verizon shipment on the label VERIZON provided.

Any claim reimbursement by UPS will be paid to Verizon, not to me. How is this fair?

Verizon doesn't care because they have nothing to lose; they canceled the deal. 
and UPS pretty soon will cancel the claim (they have a time frame for the claim )

Re: UPS LOST MY TRADE-IN IPHONE BUT THE SENDER IS VERIZON AND I CAN T BE REIMBOURSED
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there, joelle1059, I have sent a Private Note to your inbox about your inquiry. Please reply to me there. Thank you!

Akane_VZW

0 Likes
Re: UPS LOST MY TRADE-IN IPHONE BUT THE SENDER IS VERIZON AND I CAN T BE REIMBOURSED
Daniel888
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same issue right now. The promo hasn’t been cancelled yet, but I’m sure it will soon as UPS says that they have lost the phone.  Can someone please help us?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would like to see what's going on with the package. Let's get to the bottom of this. We would recommend contacting us at 800-922-0204 or @VZWSupport on Facebook or Twitter for faster assistance.

0 Likes
Hollybelle79
Enthusiast - Level 1

It looks like I may be in the same situation as you both. I mailed my trade a week ago. Initially it was tracked with an estimated delivery date of 5/17, then it changed to 5/18, but now the tracking has stopped and says I will need to check with the addressee to see if they’ve received it. Otherwise, it says I will have to file a claim with UPS. Sounds to me like it’s lost, and I probably won’t get anywhere if that’s the case. Super bummed about this, since I would have never bought the new phone if it weren’t for the promotion. Very similar scenarios for all of us. Maybe they need to look into what the issue is??

0 Likes
Daniel8888
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have called and chatted 5 times. There have no resolution.  If I call again, it’s more no resolution.  No one has any answers. No one helps.  UPS sends me back to Verizon. Verizon sends me back to UPS.  I guess I should call daily. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Daniel8888, 

We know how important it is for you to receive credit for your trade in, and we want to help resolve your concerns! Please reply to our Private Message, so we can gather the details needed to assist with your trade in. 

Thank you, 

MichelleH_VZW 

0 Likes
Hollybelle79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the same exact situation.  I spoke with someone last week who opened a ticket and assured me I would still get my credit for the lost device.  They promised me a phone call back this week, well this week is over and I've heard nothing.  I would have never purchased a new device if it weren't for this promo, and I am astonished at how many of these phones are so conveniently lost by UPS.  I told them over the phone, and I will say it again...I am offered an AT&T discount through work, so if I must end ALL my years of loyalty to Verizon, I will.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hollybelle79, we'd be so sad to see you leave the Verizon Wireless family to something much different. I know when getting a promotion when getting a new phone is part of the decision-making process. My goal is to make sure that we do everything we can to assist you with this missing device that you sent back to Verizon. I've sent you a Private Note. Please respond to that message.

-KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
kilativ1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue.

one device was returned fine and credit approval issued. Send two more devices (gave it directly to UPS driver as I always do). and now Verizon emails me that I must send it back asap. Chatted twice with Verizon support but they say "we don't have a tracking number". How is it possible, if for those returns that do work, I get email of acceptances a day after I give it to UPS. That means there is a UPS tracking number somewhere.