Unlock FM chip in all Smart phones. ATT and T-Mobile did quit dragging your feet Verizon!
Chris_Rettig
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi! I am a current Verizon customer. Please unlock the FM chip in all smartphones you sell so I can get important emergency information when data networks are unavailable and reduce the amount of data I use each month.

I find it interesting that simple features are always turned off by verizon. I use my Ipod Nano, for a radio and I do not see why verizon cant get on board with this. AT&T and T-Mobile both unlocked there chips.

Thank you and Please turn on the chips!!!

Chris

Labels (1)
Re: Unlock FM chip in all Smart phones. ATT and T-Mobile did quit dragging your feet Verizon!
mama23dogs
Legend

Neither Verizon or AT&T phones have FM chips enabled in their phones and they don't support the technology.

THis comes up every month, but the answer is the same.  Not going to happen.

i Have Scanner Radio on my android phone which allows me to listen to police broadcast.

0 Likes
Re: Unlock FM chip in all Smart phones. ATT and T-Mobile did quit dragging your feet Verizon!
Chris_Rettig
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its all over the internet. AT&T and T Mobile both agreed to unlock their phones for free FM radio. SOOOOOO....... Verizon needs to step it up.

Chris

AT&T To Activate FM Chips - Free Radio On My Phone

NextRadio on Twitter: "Hey @JohnLegere, Paul Brenner has something to say: http://t.co/DRsezQpZyb #T...

mama23dogs
Legend

AS far as I know, t-Mobile already has free radio.  

IF ATT offers it, it will only be available on new devices.   The hardware can't be changed on older ATT phones.

0 Likes
Chris_Rettig
Enthusiast - Level 2

My iphone 6+ has the chip inside already. its a software issue. Even if it was Hardware I would sell this phone and buy a new one to get it. I carry my ipod Nano everywhere at work for radio. I would like the ability to listen to radio and have my earphones in also for a call.

Being self employed missing calls is not acceptable. This would allow my business to function better. 

If need be I will buy a factory unlocked phone that I know that has it like T-Mobile and then swap my sims over. Factory unlocked is the only way to go. Might need to make a trip to T Mobile this weekend and see if their iphones are unlocked and see what happens with my sim.

Chris

Verizon needs to up their game and unlock their phones.

mama23dogs
Legend

FM chip

PLease read the above thread.  There is more than software involved.   Current Verizon and ATT phones dont have the hardware set up either.   The FM chip is repurposed for wifi and Bluetooth.

FYI. A T-Mobile phone is a GSM only phone, which will not work on Verizon's CDMA network.  You would have to get a new phone. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The iPhone 6+ doesn't have it already... Apple uses their own designed chips which doesn't have FM radio built into them. Also there are other factors of hardware rather than the radio. There's plenty of documentation showing sure devices may have the radio but is missing everything else hardware wise to even work. The logic boards have different parts numbers manufacturers charge for them to be enabled to nickle and dime countries that allow it(Europe doesn't devices are more expensive because of it).

Not applicable

If you use your iPod as a radio then what's the issue? Keep using that. It's not like it takes up a lot of space. A FM radio on smartphone isn't going to work any better than the one on your iPod.

0 Likes