Unlocked iPhone 6 (bought from overseas) in Verizon
wan9112

Hello

I bought an iPhone 6 from South Korea few weeks ago (Model: A1586).

Now I'm back in the States, willing to use it in Verizon.

I already have a 2 year contract with Verizon and it ends at April, so if I want to use my new iPhone, it has to be through Verizon.

Cause if I try to use my iPhone through other carriers and to close my account in Verizon (since I cannot afford to pay for two lines), there will be a penalty of $150.

It seems like A1586 both works with GSM and CDMA format. And the type of LTE bands which Verizon uses, are included in the bands that A1586 supports. Also, my iPhone is unlocked. Which means, logically my iPhone should work with Verizon.

But, since my iPhone was not bought through Verizon there were some difficulties in activating. If I type in the IMEI in Verizon's website to activate, my iPhone's IMEI was not added to Verizon's database so they could not search for the device. And a message that this device is not compatible with the Verizon wireless network popped up.

Then I called the Verizon customer center and tried to translocate my information from my previous SIM card to my new iPhone's micro SIM and plugged it into my iPhone, but my iPhone just couldn't catch Verizon's signals (No service). Though I believe it should be logically possible. I restored all the information in iPhone and it still does not work.

What should I do to use my iPhone in Verizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocked iPhone 6 (bought from overseas) in Verizon
Weth
Legend

The only thing I heard works, is get a nano sim activated in another iPhone (the iPhone 6 uses nano sim not micro sim) and after it is activated put it in the Korean bought phone.  As you found out the, the IMEI Must be in Verizon's database.  In general, no phone that wasn't bought as a Verizon phone works on Verizon.  There are some reports that domestic 6 from AT&T or t mobile work with the SIM switch.  I have no confirmation it will work with an overseas 6.  Try it and report back. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It is unlikely you will be able to use this phone on Verizon.

Your best bet would be to sell your phone on a site such as swappa.com and use the proceeds to purchase a phone compatible with the Verizon network. One thing swappa.com also does is allows people to swap phones if you can find someone willing to do so. You may be able to get an even trade. Just make sure you get one which is meant for Verizon.Smiley Happy

Your phone's ID will have to be in Verizon's database for it to be allowed on their network. A phone originally meant for a foreign network will not be in their database AND Verizon will not add it in order to be able to activate on their network.

0 Likes
Gottoon
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have a nano sim that is activated you are good to go. Plug it in and boot.

The other option is go to a VZW store. Ask for a nano sim for your new phone. They have done this for me... no cost.

Call customer support and request a sim only activation. They can activate the sim without the need of a phone. Once it is activated you can slap it in any phone you want that has the right hardware and boom you are good to go.

mama23dogs
Legend

I Have to jump in, because the international version of the iphone 6 and 6+ is the unlocked version sold by Apple. It has bands for all carriers and can be used with Verizon.

THe advice to activate a SIM card in another phone, then install it in your iphone is the correct solution.  Your phone may appear on your account an a non- Verizon phone, rather than iphone.

This is the exact same problem that Nexus 6 , and one plus one owners are having.

0 Likes
Gottoon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Both are working options if you have the spare phone around with a nano Sim slot or have the adapters.

Sim only activation is how I got my Google Play store purchased Nexus 6 working. I didn't have a nano Sim in my last phone. Didn't want to cut it to fit the nano.