Upgrade through Apple?
jfs130
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus (got it on day 1) and I want to upgrade to the new 6s Plus but I'm not eligible for upgrade till next year (I'm not Edge). I know Apple has a new finance option with no interest (only available in Apple stores) so that I can get the newest iPhone every year. If I do that will I be forced to start a new plan or can I keep my same plan? I know if I'm not eligible that I can pay full retail. So my question is: by doing this kind of purchase through Apple, does Verizon view it as me purchasing a phone outright and it won't affect my current plan? Or will they make me sign a new contract? I really don't know what approach to take...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade through Apple?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Never mind. It looks like you got your original phone on a two year contract at subsidized pricing, correct? If so...you would continue to pay your bill as usual. You will be required to keep service until your contract end date.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you are approved for Apple's payment plan then it is completely separate from your carrier agreement. It's no different than using a credit card to pay full retail for a phone and making monthly payments on that.

jfs130
Enthusiast - Level 1

So would I have to return my current 6 Plus to Verizon to not get penalized?  I guess I should just call and get the details

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

No. You are buying a phone at full retail. You aren't doing an edge agreement or a Verizon payment plan. You are doing a device only payment plan with Apple. You would do better to contact Apple about this than Verizon. But it seems that you're not understanding that you are buying a phone at full retail and using financing via Apple. Has nothing to do with Verizon at all

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Of course, this all depends on if Apple says you qualify.

0 Likes
jfs130
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the answers. I'm not worried about being approved since I have great credit. My only concern was how my bill will be affected since I'm no longer paying for a phone through Verizon. Wouldn't I still technically owe them for the current phone I have unless I return it or pay the difference? Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing lol

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Are you making payments on your current device via Verizon's payment plan? If so, yes you will have to continue paying for it or pay the balance off. This won't eliminate that obligation.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Never mind. It looks like you got your original phone on a two year contract at subsidized pricing, correct? If so...you would continue to pay your bill as usual. You will be required to keep service until your contract end date.

0 Likes
jfs130
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's what they said. Oh well. Just 1 more year and I can go month to month

0 Likes