Upgrade
Masonismyson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded my device under the early upgrade plan. They want me to mail back my old phone but I don't have it. Does anyone know how much I need to pay them back for the lost phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade
rcschnoor
Legend

I believe the reported amount for people who have not returned a device when it was required is $299.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

$300 and up for a non-returned phone.  (Could be even more depending on phone model)  The return of the current contract phone covers the ETF since the contract is being terminated early in favor of an early Device Payment Plan device.  The charge for not returning that phone on contract could realistically be higher than the ETF.  So, basically, you add that charge to the total cost of the new phone.  Depending on which phone you just signed an agreement for, that could be $1000-1200 total.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You will owe, but I don't think it is the $300 and up range. It will be $199 - here is from the FAQ

This is now called Early Device Upgrade Promotion:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/device-payment-faqs/

1.   I did an Early Device Upgrade promotion and need to return my current device as part of the promotion. How do I return my device? 

If you’re required to send Verizon your current device as part of a recent early device upgrade promotion, you must send the device to Verizon Wireless within 14 days of receiving your new device, or you’ll be charged the early device upgrade non-return fee of $199.The device you send must be in good working condition, and the same one that was on the upgraded line. Learn how to send your device back to Verizon Wireless.

Snn5
Legend

IDK, I don't see Verizon accepting $199 on a $700 phone that is 12-18 months old.  But, that's me thinking S6 or iPhone 6.  Perhaps the OP is sending back a lower-tier phone.

Weth
Legend

I think the math on the $700 phone is sort of like this-

you already paid $299 up front, plus $40 upgrade fee, and $20/month for 18 months = $699

One thing I trust Verizon with is not getting the math wrong . It is like Vegas, the house never loses. They are still making a profit on the early upgrades-- otherwise you don't get it offered.

Masonismyson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for all your help. I guess I will see what will happen if I don't return the iPhone 5s :w

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, my math was a bit high, but obviously, EXPECT an additional charge of AT LEAST $199.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Let us know to confirm it is $199 or something different. What ever you do, don't send a different phone back in hopes it works out. It won't. You will lose that phone and still get charged the same amount. Even if it is another 5S. It must match the ESN of the phone that was registered on your line.

rcschnoor
Legend

I believe the reported amount for people who have not returned a device when it was required is $299.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

My text messages I got from Verizon when returning a defective phone under warranty stated $299, but that might be different than a trade-in $199.  Consistency, "we don't has it."

0 Likes