Re: VZW Call Filter supposed to be free as of March 2019
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@MIKEPASTA wrote:

FYI... Just found out that the Call Filter ONLY works on authorized (read LOCKED) Verizon phones. If you have an UNLOCKED phone from the manufacturer (like my Unlocked Samsung S10+), Call Filter from Verizon WILL NOT WORK. After being on the phone with Verizon for over an hour and speaking to 3 different people AND going to my local store twice, they FINALLY admitted that this app ONLY works with VERIZON LOCKED phones. Shocker... I know. Shame on you Verizon.

You mean Verizon branded phones. Verizon phones are not locked. And of coruse this feature would only work n Verion branded phones. You want Verizon features get a phone geared for Verizon's network

0 Likes
MIKEPASTA
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Call Filter doesn't work on just Verizon branded phones, according to Verizon it works on unbranded iPhones as well. (See Verizon's earlier post.) It just doesn't work with unlocked Android phones (Samsung and Google).

Are Verizon phones locked? They claim no, but they are... partially. (See my earlier post about blocking access to the diagnostic code function.) They even lock (block) access to unlocked phones. This is true concerning both Verizon branded Galaxy phones and unlocked Galaxy phones. These functions are not blocked by ATT, Sprint, or T-Mobile. Verizon openly admits to locking or blocking certain features on their network. I understand that it is their right. If you want to play in their game, you have to play by their rules. 

As far as getting a Verizon phone? No thank you. I get most of the features I want without having to pay their monthly fee. Their bloatware isn't worth it to me. I use Hiya for spam blocking instead of Call Filter. It works great and is free. Just thought it would be nice to use one that my carrier provides. 

0 Likes
mstallard
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried to use "free" call filter but there is no such thing.  I subscribed to free call filter, but if I try to see call activity or report a number, it just directs me to the "subscribe" page to get paid call filter.  It does not allow me to do anything.  Just keeps redirecting me to the subscribe page.  When, if ever, will this free call filter actually be made available?

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@mstallard wrote:

I have tried to use "free" call filter but there is no such thing.  I subscribed to free call filter, but if I try to see call activity or report a number, it just directs me to the "subscribe" page to get paid call filter.  It does not allow me to do anything.  Just keeps redirecting me to the subscribe page.  When, if ever, will this free call filter actually be made available?

It's not full rolled out yet people. Jeez already.

0 Likes
Austinite

I have the VZW Call filter installed on my phone, works flawlessly.  You need to go into SETTINGS  and make sure your signed-in.  Then go to SCREENING, then click BLOCK, then click SPam Filter On and choose Medium & High Risk, make sure your Auto-Block spam calls by risk level is turned-on.  This should get you going without spam calls coming through.

0 Likes
MIKEPASTA
Enthusiast - Level 2

To enroll in free features, open the app, tap the menu icon in the upper left corner / Account / Subscription Status / See other options / Yes. Go back to Block Management in the main menu to set up your spam filter and start auto-blocking spam calls. For details, see https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-call-filter or email them callfilter@vzw.com.

0 Likes
Graboid

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ That got the Pie update a week ago. It has the Call Filter app, but when you open the app, there are no 3 lines in the upper left corner, only a black bar at the bottom that says Get Started. When you tap that, the 3 lines appear, but when you click account, the only options are Profile and Subscription Status. When I play with different options, it tells me that it may take 4 weeks for the app to update. It is my understanding that the updated Call Filter can’t come through the Play Store, but has to come via a firmware update pushed by Verizon. Is my understanding correct, and will this option be made available via the next security patch pushed through?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mstallard,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into issues with our Call Filter feature. It's vital to us you receive the best benefits out of your service. I'll be happy to help. MIKEPASTA gave great instructions on how to receive free features with our Call Filter service. Have you tried these steps?

JuanD_VZW

0 Likes
mijojo19

Yes I have.   So far this week I have blocked over 45 different phone numbers directly. I have also subscribe to YouMail and have over 200 personally blocked phone calls and the number keeps growing. 

0 Likes
mijojo19

Thank you that was a great suggestion!

0 Likes