Verizon with iPad Air 2
CAARon
Enthusiast - Level 2

2Just picked up my new iPad Air 2 and when trying to set up my cellular data account, the only options are AT&T, Spring and T-Mobile.  I was told by Apple that the new iPad would work across all networks.  What gives?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon with iPad Air @
jvok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your iPad Air 2 will work on Verizon.  The catch is that Verizon will not support the new "Apple SIM" that came with the iPad.  Blame Verizon, not Apple......though the Apple Store sales folks should know this.  What you have to do is take your iPad Air 2 into a Verizon store, tell them you want a Verizon SIM card, and have them activate the device.  Verizon will NOT give you a SIM card at the store if you do not plan to activate the device immediately.  I know this because I just bought an iPad Mini 3, and walked out of a Verizon store 30 minutes ago.  I did not have the device with me, so the Verizon store manager would not give me new Verizon SIM.  I complained to the manager that I did not want to have to come back in again with my device.  He said I had the option of calling up customer service and Verizon would ship me a SIM.  I assume though that they will charge me a $35 activation fee and start billing me immediately prior to shipping me the card. 

The Apple SIM is a great idea, but the carriers are not supporting it in the manner Apple had in mind.  AT&T is locking the SIM down once you activate on their network,  T-Mobile is doing the same if you activate in store.  The SIM will not be locked on T-Mobile if you activate from your iPad.  Verizon will not support the SIM in any manner.  That is why you must get a new SIM directly from Verizon.  I am not sure what Sprint's policy is.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

I know how you feel. On mine I could use it on any carrier other than the one I am on. I used the prepaid data with the nano Sim. But unless you purchase the iPad from Verizon directly its frozen out of their system.

Go to AT&T its blazing fast and easy to use on prepaid.

Good Luck

0 Likes
jvok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your iPad Air 2 will work on Verizon.  The catch is that Verizon will not support the new "Apple SIM" that came with the iPad.  Blame Verizon, not Apple......though the Apple Store sales folks should know this.  What you have to do is take your iPad Air 2 into a Verizon store, tell them you want a Verizon SIM card, and have them activate the device.  Verizon will NOT give you a SIM card at the store if you do not plan to activate the device immediately.  I know this because I just bought an iPad Mini 3, and walked out of a Verizon store 30 minutes ago.  I did not have the device with me, so the Verizon store manager would not give me new Verizon SIM.  I complained to the manager that I did not want to have to come back in again with my device.  He said I had the option of calling up customer service and Verizon would ship me a SIM.  I assume though that they will charge me a $35 activation fee and start billing me immediately prior to shipping me the card. 

The Apple SIM is a great idea, but the carriers are not supporting it in the manner Apple had in mind.  AT&T is locking the SIM down once you activate on their network,  T-Mobile is doing the same if you activate in store.  The SIM will not be locked on T-Mobile if you activate from your iPad.  Verizon will not support the SIM in any manner.  That is why you must get a new SIM directly from Verizon.  I am not sure what Sprint's policy is.

Good luck!

0 Likes
jvok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is a link from Verizon's web page stating that the Apple SIM is not supported and you must obtain a Verizon SIM.

Cellular Data Activation - Apple® iPad®

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

UUnfortunately you must take it to a Verizon store. If you go to corporate store the SIM is free. i hear at affiliated stores you can get charged.  Take the apple sim out and keep it for future use when traveling.   Don't let verizon take it. 

0 Likes
CAARon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, guys.  I just pulled the SIM from my old iPad and popped it in and it worked great.  I had just assumed that the Apple SIM would work with all providers.

0 Likes
IrkedinSF

Verizon is not supplying the needed SIM card.  I tried to get one at a local store and was told it could not be done.  Then I called Verizon and was told it could not be done.  I will not use Verizon to provide cell service for this device.  If you want a current iPad, you will not be able to get Verizon cellular service for  it.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon with iPad Air 2
Weth
Legend

That is not categorically true.  I had no problem getting the SIM.  Most have no trouble getting the SIM. 

0 Likes