What is the least expensive way to keep an iPhone?
SAMSNYDERMUSIC

Let me start off with that I have been a customer with Verizon for years.

I was receiving a 19% discount because of my work situation, but now unfortunately will no longer be able to receive said discount. For being a loyal customer I was told my plan would still have an 8% discount, regardless of my work situation, but unfortunately, this all still is very expensive.

I have 3 iPhones on my plan and receive 15gb of data per month, but our bill is always over $260/month even with the 19% discount. I can't afford for it to go up any higher, and this might result in forcing me to change carriers. That being said, I am due for an upgrade, and my old iPhone 5C apparently now isn't worth anything according to Verizon, nor is my old 5S (because of a cracked screen). So as far as I can tell, my bill will go up EVEN MORE because now I would be forced to finance a phone.

To me, this is all really a mess, because I was told upon purchasing my phone, that I would receive about $100 toward a new phone at the time of the upgrade, but now, maybe because the iPhone 7 came out, this is untrue.

I would prefer to stay on Verizon, and continue using an iPhone as my current work situation utilizes a lot of features, and I'm constantly traveling, so coverage is important, but unfortunately I'm at my wits end as of how to make it work, and I will be forced to change carriers otherwise.

Thank you,

Sam [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is the least expensive way to keep an iPhone?
ralpht_vzw
Verizon Employee

SAMSNYDERMUSIC, I can understand your concern regarding saving money.  We really want you to have the best service and new phones. Your loyalty is appreciated and we will look for ways that will help you save.  I am sending you a private message so that we can provide some personal support?

Ralph

Ralpht_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The market does fluctuate. Depending on the shape of the phone you can sell it in eBay or a reputable site like swappa.com as far as the account do all 3 users "need" and iPhone? Think about that word need for a second. Not want, not convenient, but need one? Now I can't decide that but if these are kids or adults who have no choice that's one thing. If they can make their own money then make them pay. Quite simple

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

i have to agree with pherson

The truth is, most of us could skate by with a flip phone.  A smartphone with data is a luxury. 

Paying for service only will cut your bill.

I have 4 lines and a tablet and a big data plan, but no phone installments.  My service only bill is $207. 

My adult sons and I purchase phones at full price.  My last 'upgrade' was a Moto pure edition I bought for $250 at Best Buy. 

The Moto G4 and G4 play is even cheaper.  All will work on any carrier.  You can also purchase on amazon.

Also review your plan.  I'm guessing line fees are $15 each and data about $100. With taxes your service only should be about $160.

You may have to switch to the current plan to get a line discount again.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Stop upgrading just because you can upgrade. 

Phones paid off, out of contract, 12 GB with new Verizon plan $80, and 3 smartphones $20x3

That is only $140 plus taxes and fees, and that is without any discount.  You don't need insurance on paid off phones.  That is how you afford it. 

pherson
Champion - Level 1

I hate to say it but what I owe on my Apple tablet is more than it's worth and less than the deductible

mama23dogs
Legend

Happens with car loans too.  Buy gently used and save a bundle.

I bought my current ipad Air 2, 64 GB in February for a bit more than half what Apple was selling them for. 

Bought a Samsung GS7 for $380.  eBay is a great resource as long as you read carefully. 

0 Likes