When using Sirius Internet Radio in my car on my IPhone, is it using data from my plan?
CoachMikeC

When using Sirius Internet Radio in my car on my IPhone, is it using data from my plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When using Sirius Internet Radio in my car on my IPhone, is it using data from my plan?
Not applicable

Yes it is.

why would you think it wasn't?

If the device is supplying the Sirius music it is using the phones data.

However if you have a satellite radio in the car just get Sirius-XM directly.

Good Luck

Re: When using Sirius Internet Radio in my car on my IPhone, is it using data from my plan?
B33
Legend

On the New Chevy Pickups they have Wi-Fi on board but they also have Sirius or XM radio built in as well)  That would be nice to be able use the on-board Wi-Fi. and turn off the phones network..

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem here is the Sirius XM app can be played through a car via a connection using the phones data connection. Very expensive.

The inclusion of Sirius-XM in new vehicles etc. and old can be activated for a little as $25 plus tax for a three month subscription. I pay for the full year and now its about $182 for the everything plan. Cheaper than using a cell phones data.

Now in my car I have internet access at $35 a month its unlimited. Again very expensive. You can also pay per day or even the week. But it is still expensive. With the car internet the big bonus is the use of your Pandora or i Heart or some other radio program.  and you get to compose and receive text messages while I drive.

However iPhone's are not compatible. so only my wife can use the feature. And not really needed since we have tablets (iPads with Retina Display with cellular built in) so my wife uses that.

Its best to just get the Sirius as a stand alone for the car.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yup, I could use service on my phone Via my patch cord.. but after market companies have little mobile radios or modules that probably would be a bit cheaper than using minutes on your phone I even found one for Harley motorcycles, the links i added show some choices I use to use Crutchfield to by some of my stereo stuff there really reasonable in there prices or were..

Store Home - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

xm satellite radio receiver at Crutchfield.com

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem is there is no real solution outside of getting the Sirius subscription Welcome to the world of satellite radio - SiriusXM Radio

a patch cord (USB or even via Bluetooth) will not actually play satellite radio unless the phone is accessing data.

If you buy the subscription you can play it on the satellite radio in the car or the aftermarket ones that hook into the vehicle. And even on the net.

There is no way other than using the Sirius radio that holds 20-30 hours of recorded program and play it back via patch for free. And I am not sure they still sell those models any longer.

B33
Legend

Yea that's right, and on selling the modules I'm not sure either I guess you could find them in certain places like Truck stops which reminds me I did see one not to long ago at a Freightliner Dealer but they wanted over $300 dollars for it. ouch..

dbkinsey

Does this still apply since Verizon now says streaming is free?  I am getting ready to go on a road trip with my Mom and her car does not have Sirius XM.  Is using the app on your phone considered "streaming" similar to when you're watching movies, tv, etc. on your phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dbkinsey, I hope you have an amazing trip with your mom. If you will be using a third party application to listen to music on your phone it is considered streaming and the applicable data will be used and deducted from your plan allowance. We have a tool that you can use to estimate how much data will be used if you stream music. Click here http://vz.to/1POQKMi to learn more.

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes