Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why can't I use my fingerprint scanner anymore?
C2g1ks

I have my fingerprint scanner set up on my iPad Pro (9.7 size), but shortly after getting it, a software update was requested. Now, I can't seem to use my fingerprint scanner anymore. It always tells me that I must use my passcode before using my fingerprint; however, it never gives me a chance to use my fingerprint. I've tried going into the settings and seeing about resetting and making sure everything is correctly set there to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue since a software update? This is my first itouch device (I've only had an iPod classic previously), but the fingerprint sensor on my LG G5 works beautifully after its software update, so is this gonna be my last Apple product?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why can't I use my fingerprint scanner anymore?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Your support is here to make sure that we get this resolved for you. Were there any errors during the installation? Please provide the software version for us. Go to settings>general>about>version. It will be listed there. Please try a soft reset in the meantime: 95834.    BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
C2g1ks

Thanks for the reply. No there were no errors during the update that I was

told about. The version is 9.3.2 (13F69). Not sure how to do a soft rest.

What is it and what does it do?

Thanks

[Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thanks so much for getting back to us. We apprecia you working with us. A Soft reset on that device would be to power the device fully off then on and see if an app was causing this error. Thank you for providing the software version. I'm not showing any flaws or known issues with a scanner. Does it work after the reset?

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
47seijar

First thing to do is make sure the home button is clean. You can use a damp (but not wet) paper towel to clean it. Also, you finger must be relatively clean and dry when unlocking via the home button/fingerprint scanner.

Any time the iPad is restarted you need to type in the security code to unlock before the fingerprint scanner will be enabled. If your iPad restarted at some point you might not have noticed it. But you'll have to use your security code. If you updated your iPad Pro like it appears you did, instability has been a problem. So much so, in fact, that Apple pulled the update. Restarts with 9.3.2 have been common on the iPad Pros. Until Apple releases a fix or until you roll back to 9.3.1 these problems will persist.

Downgrade to 9.3.1:  http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/05/downgrade-ios-9-3-2.html

0 Likes