Why do I have to dial area code for numbers within my own area code?
tbird_greg

I changed my iphone area code from 201 to 772 recently.  I thought I would be able to dial local 772 area numbers without adding that prefix but any time I've tried it I get the error message from Verizon.  Other people I know can call from their cell phones without using the area code first.  Is this a Verizon issue or  something in the iphone settings?  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why do I have to dial area code for numbers within my own area code?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand your concern with dialing local numbers, tbird_greg. Many times an existing area code may experience an area code split. This divides the area code into two parts and a new area code is formed by the split. In these cases, full 10 digit dialing is required. I did some research, and did find out that the 772 area code was created from a split.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand your concern with dialing local numbers, tbird_greg. Many times an existing area code may experience an area code split. This divides the area code into two parts and a new area code is formed by the split. In these cases, full 10 digit dialing is required. I did some research, and did find out that the 772 area code was created from a split.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

That's correct.  Connecticut had 2 area codes until just a few years a go.  When they added the new area code, all Connecticut numbers now have to be dialed with all 10 numbers.  Even if I'm calling landline to landline to the house next door.

0 Likes