Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Why doesn't my device read the battery correctly?
willquerry

when by battery gets to 90 percent my  phone shuts off and when i turn it back on its at 35 percent after that it dies really quickly and when i plug it in it imideatley goes to  10 percent. i know i have a problem with my battery but what steps do i need to take to get it fixed and am i gonna have to pay for something that isn't not my fault?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: when by battery gets to 90 percent my phone shuts off and when i turn it back on its at 35 percent after that it dies really quickly and when i plug it in it imideatley goes to 10 percent
smith6612

What model phone?

Batteries after a couple of years can exhibit this sort of behavior, mostly because the battery life percentage is actually an estimation of the battery. Most phones don't measure battery percentage by the voltage. If cells in the battery have failed  (what you're likely seeing) or the battery has degraded due to heavy use, the percentages will be off. Most phones will be unable to correct the reading in this case.

Regardless, get the phone serviced by Apple. An Apple Store nearby you should be able to do a battery swap in around 15-20 minutes by appointment with the Genius Bar. If the phone is under Warranty, Apple will perform hardware tests and perform a warranty replacement.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: when by battery gets to 90 percent my phone shuts off and when i turn it back on its at 35 percent after that it dies really quickly and when i plug it in it imideatley goes to 10 percent
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

IT depends on if it's under warranty.  For the first year your iPhone is fully covered by Apple.

Even after the warranty expires, it's worth going to Apole for repair or replacement.

ONly Apple can give you an estimate for repair if they won't cover it

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Mama23dogs, thank you so much for advising Willquerry on how we can look into repairing the phone and options that are available. You were correct about the one year warranty.  Willquerry , can I ask how old is the device? How long has this problem been going on? Do you currently have a Verizon Wireless account? I would love to take a look and see what is available.

VeronicaMM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612

What model phone?

Batteries after a couple of years can exhibit this sort of behavior, mostly because the battery life percentage is actually an estimation of the battery. Most phones don't measure battery percentage by the voltage. If cells in the battery have failed  (what you're likely seeing) or the battery has degraded due to heavy use, the percentages will be off. Most phones will be unable to correct the reading in this case.

Regardless, get the phone serviced by Apple. An Apple Store nearby you should be able to do a battery swap in around 15-20 minutes by appointment with the Genius Bar. If the phone is under Warranty, Apple will perform hardware tests and perform a warranty replacement.

0 Likes