Re: Why has data usage increased exponentially out of the blue?
tetreama

I have the exact same problem.  My data usage has been around 2GB per period for ever. My data limit is 2GB.  Last month my bill reports 10GB of usage!!!!  This is $80 in overages.  I did not even receive a notice that I was exceeding my limit.  Of course, the only option Verizon offers is to change my data plan.  To do this, I would also have to change my wife's Unlimited Data plan, which Verizon doesn't offer anymore.  My theory is that Verizon is trying to strong arm accounts that have unlimited data plans and force them to change their data plans.

Verizon is unscrupulous.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I have unlimited data plan and I don't have this problem at all. I use 400mb a month myself or less while the unlimited line uses way more than that.

0 Likes
CW_Customer
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is Verizon's new game. They tried it with texting.

After verizon TRIED 3 times to charge me over $100 for texting on an UNLIMITED Texting plan and were forced to reverse those charges as I caught them in the act, they now play the data limit game and it is bogus.

They cannot give you and itemized data statement so they feel they are free to overcharge you and I will not be part of that game any longer.

Republic Wireless can, in my instance, stop this nonsense.

CW_Customer
Enthusiast - Level 3

One person (3 phones) like me leaving Verizon will not even make a ripple in their profit stream it will take thousands of people making the effort to starve Verizon of these unverifiable charges by leaving for some other carrier. In my case it looks like Republic will be the answer. Not the answer for everyone but we have choices and Verizon has PROVEN beyond a shadow of a doubt they are still the same screw the customer company from their roots in MaBell.

0 Likes
sbjones8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, something is going on.  I used to have the unlimited plan and NEVER went over 2GB.  Since Ive renewed my contract and had to pick a data plan, my data usage keeps going up! My habits haven't changed and I use wifi whenever possible, Ive contacted tech support (they really werent much help) and Ive followed the suggestions on this thread and guess what?  My data is still going up!  Ive already filed a complaint with the FCC, something is going on here and its not right.

Tidbits
Legend

Do some of you have Snapchat installed? If yes that's your culprit. Latest update pulls more data

0 Likes
kdavis8602
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tried it all to limit my data. I am also considering a move to another carrier after my data has quadrupled over last 4 months when I mostly use wi-fi.

smickey1977
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am having this problem.  Nothing has changed but now after 4 years of usung 2GB or less all of a sudden im almost at my limit of 6GB.  I checked the detailed usage online and it shows over 3GB of the usage is all at times I know for a fact the phone is home and on my wifi.  When I call customer service im told thats impossible and nothing can be done.  They want me to now go through a "troubleshhoting" session over the phone when I get off work which im willing to bet will use up the last 0.6GB of data I have left n then the overage charging begins. When I tell the rep I upgraded less than a month ago n if this issue isnt resolved Ill haveto go elsewhere she replies to do what I have to but there will be well over $500 in termination fees!  Ive been a Verizon customer for over 10 years and have reffered many others n now this is how they repay us.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

smickey1977

Help is here! This is not the kind of experience we want to provide to our customers. We want to make sure that everything on your phone is working properly and no data is being used without you knowing. You said you upgraded about a month ago, what phone did you have before and what phone do you have now? When you connect to your wi-fi at home do you usually turn off mobile data on your phone? I don't want you to consider going to another carrier. I am confident we can come up with a resolution and see where this usage is coming from.

JorgeO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is nothing new for the iPhone 5&6 with IOS 7 or 8.

Apple default settings to use Mobile Data and sync to iCloud at random times.

But they only give you 2GB. If you upgrade phones backups from the old phone hang around and take up storage. If you hit the 2G limit. the SYNC keeps trying and uses your Mobile Data. Turn OFF Celular Data for iCloud and iTunes to only sync when on WiFi. Also, check which App(s) are using your Mobile Data. Then go to Settings -> Cellular -> Use Cellular For: and scroll to App and toogle to OFF. (Then app will uses WiFi).

Good Luck.

0 Likes