Why is my device using data when I am not using it?
User_

Two extra data allowances were also used but I didn't so much as touch my phone between the times they were "used". What is happening my bill is way too high for literally doing nothing.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: All of my data was used even though I haven't used my phone today.
Snn5
Legend

Might be that your iPhone is disconnecting from wifi during periods of inactivity and falling back on mobile data.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Might be that your iPhone is disconnecting from wifi during periods of inactivity and falling back on mobile data.

Loquat
Master - Level 1

My phone does exactly what you've mentioned...all the time.  My data is used to pull email, notifications, etc when my phone has been idle long enough for wifi to disconnect.  Albeit not much...but it still does...mostly at night.  Nice that you've pointed this out because many iPhone users don't realize this when they see data charges during the middle of the night. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Loquat,

We're glad to see you received information to clarify your concern. It's important to understand the phone's functions, and we want to make sure we assist in any way possible to prevent confusion with the features. The iPhone is designed to rely on a cellular network while it's idle for a period of time. However, we can suggest alternatives to this. One is to turn off data for those apps for which you can manually update, such as email. This is in Settings>Cellular>Scroll to the bottom "Use Cellular Data For" and disable those apps.

The other option is to disable Background App Refresh from Settings>General. You can choose several apps or disable entirely. This will also help conserve battery life.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes