Re: Why is our iPhone 5c suddenly using data overnight?
MorgnsGrl

It seems unlikely that iCloud is the problem because only one phone is sucking data and this is a new issue as of the past week and a half or so, though!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You said you have home wifi.  Any back up and restore should be done over wifi - not cellular.  If you back up your phone either to iCloud or a computer, it would save all your data, apps, etc and then restore it after a factory reset. 

Plug the phone in to power an let it restore over night so it uses wifi only.

TO perform a factory reset on iPhone, open settings, General, Reset, reset all contents.  You will have to turn off find my iPhone to do this.

WHen you start up again, set up as new with the last back up.  Be aware that this may also restore the problem.  Be prepared to reset again and set up as new without backup.   Your husband should have all his information on contacts etc synced via the cloud and it does not require backup.

YOu can try a short cut, look at which apps are using the most data (settings, data usage) and delete or restrict that app.  Email stuck in an "outbox" can try to resend and run up a ton of data.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

MorgnsGrl wrote:

It seems unlikely that iCloud is the problem because only one phone is sucking data and this is a new issue as of the past week and a half or so, though!

iCloud backs up your phone when it's plugged in, on, asleep and connected to wifi.  It would not use your cellular data.

you should be syncing and backing up with iCloud. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

MorgnsGrl wrote:

So just not ever use cellular data at all? Then why are we paying for it? We do have "wi fi assist" turned off, for what it's worth. I do expect a more helpful response than "Well, just turn off your cellular data altogether." Especially when we have two identical phones and only one of them is experiencing this problem.

I Think it is meant as a band aide, not a solution.  Meanwhile, you might consider increasing your monthly plan to 3 GBs or you risk an overage.  Better to pay $15 for an extra 2GBs than get a $15 overage for only 1 GB, and you might get more than one overage this month. 

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

So wait, a Verizon Wireless Customer Support person is telling me that using iCloud to back up my info could be a catalyst in our data consumption problem... but you are saying that iCloud backups only happen when the phone is "plugged in, on, asleep and connected to wifi" and therefore could not be the cause of our data issue? If any Verizon support people could chime in and confirm which of these two is true, that would be great. It's no wonder so many people I've talked with have had problems with data if it's so difficult to get accurate information!! (Thanks, mama23dogs! I appreciate you trying to help!)

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Not if you have home wifi.  Your phone should only backup and update over wifi.

I Suggest going into settings, cellular data, scroll down and turn iCloud, iTunes and App Store and any other high use app to OFF.  This restricts to wifi only.

Test to see if the phone is connecting to wifi by temporarily turning off cellular and try itunes Store, browser, YouTube.  If they load slow, or not at all, the wifi antenna on the phone may be faulty.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

you post faster than I...Lol.  Happy to help

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Straight from the horses mouth. 

iPhone - Backup - Apple Support

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

Thanks again, mama23dogs! We did try turning off the cellular entirely on the problem phone and tried iTunes Store, the browser, YouTube, email, etc.  They all loaded normally, and the phone shows that it is attached to the wifi. (Additionally, we have TWO wi fi routers and have tested in the past to verify that if one goes down, the phones see and connect to the other as a back up. So I think even if there were a problem with one there's no reason why we should be using our data when we're at home, especially during the overnight hours when we're asleep. I think I understand what you're saying about Verizon getting our data usage info in chunks... but it still makes sense to me that the chunk of data info sent at about 5:30ish am, when we've been asleep for the entire previous period of time since the previous chunk was sent at about 11:30 pm, should not be in the 100s of MB.)

If an example helps, a chunk of data usage info is sent at 11:26 pm (0.16 MB)

We had gone to bed at 11 and the phone sat unused until the next chunk of data usage info is sent at 5:26 am (116.58 MB.) So am I wrong in thinking that it makes sense that the phone must have used 116.58 MB between 11:26ish and 5:26ish? And how could it do that when the phone was asleep and connected to wifi?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the phone plugged in? iPhones I've noticed, like to turn off or disconnect from Wi-FI when they're sleeping and not in use.