Re: Wifi Calling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you bringing your inquiry forward. You do have the ability to do so via Verizon Messages. In order to ensure that all messages are received on Verizon Messages you may need to turn iMessage off on your iPhone.
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JohnnyDoe
Contributor - Level 1

Will wifi calling ever be part of a future carrier update in the settings? I know we are currently on Verizon 23.2, but with a future update with this become natively integrated? I really don't want to use to the Verizon Messages program because I like the iOS integration of it's own native Messages app.

0 Likes
LittleBill57

I use Google Hangouts calling with my wifi. Works fine. So does Skype.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can appreciate your interest with the update and Wi-Fi calling. We do hope to grow the list of Wi-Fi calling devices that are HD voice capable. Keep posted to VZW News and Software updates page to keep posted with updated device information. http://bit.ly/n5snpq
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JohnnyDoe
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks. Any data that you know of coming up where it will be released to iOS devices?

0 Likes
_mr_dan
Enthusiast - Level 1

JohnnyDoe, I'm guessing that you're asking about iOS wifi calling for all of the benefits it brings (currently available on TMobile and ATT). For those not familiar, this not only allows calls from your iPhone using wifi (especially helpful in low signal areas), but it allows you to send and receive calls on your iPad, Mac, and/or Apple Watch, even if your phone isn't with you (or even turned on, for that matter). To me, this feature is huge and even more beneficial that the low-signal scenario. The Verizon app does not provide this. So, the question is, when will Verizon get this same functionality? The latest news I read suggests "early in 2016" but that's a pretty big window. Some of us are at contracts 'end and aren't really particular about carriers (all the main carriers have the same good signal in my area). So, aside from overall pricing, this service is certainly a variable when deciding which career to go with/stay with. It would be nice to know if Verizon is close to implementing this because, if so, it's less of a factor when deciding on renewing contracts or changing carriers. Here's a link for details on iOS wifi calling: Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

0 Likes
JohnnyDoe
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the great information _mr_dan and the helpful link. Too bad this isn't out for Verizon now as I think it would help the poor reception in my area. Hopefully the 'early 2016' means 1st quarter and not late in the year since Verizon is behind the 8-ball with iOS devices and getting this implemented.

0 Likes
koolmexdude
Enthusiast - Level 3

When it comes to WiFi calling, it all depends on the carrier to whether or not make it available to its customers AND what specific (brand and model) devices will they make it available to.

They usually make it available to the high end (most expensive) devices first (of course). So, the latest iPhones and Galaxies should be first. Just like AT&T did. I'm an AT&T customer, actually.

0 Likes
JohnnyDoe
Contributor - Level 1

koolmexdude -

How is wifi calling working on AT&T with iPhones? Any hiccups with it? Are you able to send/receive SMS/MMS texts over wifi on AT&T?

0 Likes
koolmexdude
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, I haven't used WiFi calling on AT&T yet. I need to activate it on my iPhone 6 first, but that's just a formality; it's very easy. It's just a matter of tapping a button and it should be all set... permanently I believe (unless you turn it off later on). And, then, according to what I have read, the phone should use WiFi calling ONLY when it detects that the cellular signal is too low.

0 Likes