Wifi calling, iPhone, dropped calls
rvdbijl
Enthusiast - Level 2

This seems to be a recurring theme on Verizon. I have poor cellular service inside my home (1-2 bars, sometimes 0). There is unfortunately a hill between us and the nearest cell tower. There is a clear path to a cell tower a couple of miles further away, so I guess the phone switches between the two arbitrarily, but neither signal is good.

Without Wifi calling, calls get dropped constantly (and are poor quality). Wifi calling made things better, most calls are fine, but about 50% of calls get dropped after 15-30 mins. VoLTE on, LTE on, Wifi Calling on. And I have tried all other combinations, including setting the phone to Airplane mode to disable LTE completely (calls STILL drop, but less).

This is especially frustrating when calling places that put you on hold for a half hour and you have to call back, only to have to explain everything again and then get dropped ...

I've been dealing with this for years now. Even opened a case with Verizon. Their final response was "did you try to turn on WiFi calling, as the signal in your area is poor".. Sigh... 

There is obviously a problem with WiFi calling that Verizon doesn't seem to want to acknowledge or do something about. Whether it's the phone jumping from Wifi to Cellular (and dropping it then when the connection isn't strong enough), or the requirements for the wifi connection being too stringent (i.e. a single dropped packet causes the call to drop), not sure ...

I finally gave in and bought a cell booster off Amazon and installed it a few days ago. That seems to have worked. Turned off Wifi calling and now have 3-4 bars in my office area where I make most calls. So far, no dropped calls, even after being on hold for 2 hours (that never worked before). So for others in this scenario -- this may be the real solution, since Verizon isn't capable or willing to fix the Wi-Fi calling bugs. 

Note that I have no problem being on Zoom or Google Hangout meetings for hours without a single hiccup. So I don't think my internet connection is the issue here (I have a very reliable 1GBit/50Mbit connection, industrial router and industrial Wifi 802.11ac access points throughout the house). 

Re: Wifi calling, iPhone, dropped calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rvdbijl, we are glad to hear that procuring your own equipment has helped and we appreciate your efforts to share your experience on our community forums. Please rest assured that I have submitted your feedback to our internal teams to help improve your experience going forward.

0 Likes
rvdbijl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate your response. Hopefully you can improve WiFi calling in the future. There are MANY people complaining about exactly the same thing (just search your forum!). 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are more than welcome rvdbijl and again we thank you for your feedback. We are constantly making improvements to our system and network and hope to improve this feature in the future. If you have anything additional to add or share, we are always here to help.

0 Likes
Daalie
Enthusiast - Level 1

seems to be a typical Verizon response, which makes most customers even more mad. You are pretending that you are looking into the issue, but obviously you are not, because so many people are complaining and I have read through tons of posts from frustrated customers and there is not a single response from Verizon that we got, we are working on it and we expect a fix by day X...... same problem in CO, started a few months ago and I thought it was something I did, but that is obviously not the case. Too much competition to keep telling stories, time for plan and reliable info.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Daalie,

We certainly wouldn't want to see you go anywhere else. Getting things to work well is crucial. What issues are you having with Wi-Fi calling? We'd love to turn this around.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
idakim
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've also never had issues with Verizon in the past 16 years that I've had Verizon. I've always had the best service of all my friends and family. However, for the past month, my entire family is on Verizon and we've been having dropped calls for Wi-Fi and when we're on the LTE network. We constantly only have 1-2 bars. This is getting very frustrating as I can't work when I'm constantly having phone problems on my work calls. If it's happening with all our phones I'm thinking it has to be the network? Or some interference on the network? Our entire family of 6 is thinking of switching if it doesn't improve soon.

rvdbijl
Enthusiast - Level 2

From my experience and research, the Verizon WiFi calling implementation jumps to LTE too quickly or randomly during the call for no particular reason, other than the phone sees a LTE signal. But it doesn't seem to be capable of jumping "back" to WiFi. So if your LTE signal is marginal (1 bar or less), your call drops. 

I'm more confident in this scenario since the problem I had with WiFi calling went away completely by putting in a cell repeater/amplifier (and now I have 4-5 bars). Even though my calls mostly still start on WiFi, they don't drop anymore at all. 

Verizon seems to be unable / unwilling to acknowledge this or actually fix this behavior. It's also possible that the 1st level reps we speak to here (and the ones I spoke with on the phone in the past on this issue), and maybe even the 2nd level people aren't aware of this issue. My issue was escalated to "engineering", but kicked back with the following comment "Have you tried enabling WiFi calling"? When I got that response, it was clear that they hadn't even read about the issue I was having. 

So bottom line -- this does NOT have the right level of attention at Verizon. 

I appreciate the response earlier in this thread not to "lose customers" by looking into it, but I have about 0 confidence that any Verizon rep on this forum can actually get to the engineering level at Verizon where they can understand this issue and actually do something about it. 

Until then, WiFi calling is completely useless in scenarios where you have a marginal signal (which is where you'd WANT to use it ... Sigh ...). 

I did jump on T-Mobile a few years back with the same phone I had on Verizon (changed the SIM), and had 0 issues with WiFi calling. So it's not a phone issue and definitely something having to do with Verizon. 

Train831
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m also experiencing dropped wifi calls at exactly 2 minutes into each call. This did not occur until I recently switched to a new XB7 router. It worked perfectly fine on the XB3. Please help

Wedge598
Enthusiast - Level 1

The exact same thing happens to our family too.  We have poor signal at the house so we use wifi calling.  After a few minutes our calls drop.  The one piece of the puzzle we can add is that any calls made with out iPads work fine and do not drop.  We've resorted to making and receiving all our calls on our iPads which are linked to our iPhones.  To call out with an iPad you need to make a contact for the number you want to dial and use FaceTime to make an audio call.  Works great.  But why does the iPhone work?  Even if you turn airplane mode on and force it to use only WiFi the call drops.