Re: Wifi calling
namor11

There is no question that various networks try to attract customers by different offerings. However, businesses succeed and fail.  Do you remember the old AT&T monopoly on the landline business?  And where is it now?  Retention is critical - for the revenues and for the stock price that hasn't been shining.  This topic is on wi-fi calling that is one of more important parts of the overall package that is a part and a parcel of the overall call quality that VZW is so proud of. Delivering that quality should not be overlooked whether through the cellular network or the wifi.  At the end of the day all consumers care about is whether or not the call goes through.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

namor11 wrote:

There is no question that various networks try to attract customers by different offerings. However, businesses succeed and fail.  Do you remember the old AT&T monopoly on the landline business?  And where is it now?  Retention is critical - for the revenues and for the stock price that hasn't been shining.  This topic is on wi-fi calling that is one of more important parts of the overall package that is a part and a parcel of the overall call quality that VZW is so proud of. Delivering that quality should not be overlooked whether through the cellular network or the wifi.  At the end of the day all consumers care about is whether or not the call goes through.

.......If dealing in an otherwise stagnant or stable business, retention is important.   The problem in the past 2 years is the cell industry is not stable.  All US carriers are changing how they do business out of necessity.  In the past 4 years cell phones have become faster and more capable.  Data use has risen beyond expectations.  More and more are dropping landlines and with it go the "white pages" (have you noticed you only get yellow pages?)

Carriers have been pushed to provide better coverage, and faster service in existing coverage areas.

Cell phones have become very expensive.

You may have noticed, carriers are not focused on retention.  There is no point.  The smallest change upsets a 20 year customer because the don't like change.  Yet they leave for a service with nearly identicle requirements.  Verizon was top of the heap for decades.  Finally it is seeing real competition and prices are being driven down.

Carriers are focused on service and are pushing the responsibility for phones on the customer and manufactures.

namor11

So why are carriers striving to improve service if not for retention and for gaining new customers?  Retention aside, there is no dispute that internet based technologies are taking over.  That only reinforces the point of importance of  wi-fi calling. It seems that internet based calling is becoming so important to be one of the critical elements of that very new technology you are talking about.  So perhaps in a few years when Google goes through with their plan to become an internet provider, we will be buying phones from Google or in a supermarket, and there will be no need for current established providers.  Very well may happen if they are not going to be leading the innovation game.  So going back to wi-fi calling, it is just a must IMHO, and the sooner, the better.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

To steal customers from other carriers.

i Agree, Internet calling needs to happen.  Many people are cutting landline service.

there is a lot going on with all carriers, trying to compete.  The more the better, it drives the prices down

0 Likes
Stix2dabeat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ask Verizon about providing you, that is, WITHOUT COST, a network extender. I have had to deal with the same issues due to "tower wars" in my neighborhood. But unless you press them hard, they will not bring up the possible solution of a network extender.

0 Likes
namor11

I refused to pay for it and told them that having my five lines for the last

thirteen years, I am expecting that they provide the device at no charge.

They didn't budge. It is almost ironic that when I place a call to speak

with them from that place, they say I am breaking up all the time - I say

that is the issue! I am sure I will receive "what can I do for you?" call

from them after I switch.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Now that is ironic, in a very sad way.

0 Likes
Hoodoo68

Ok so now there is a first step toward wifi calling. The Verizon messaging plus app added calling today and it has wifi calling. You can put your phone into airplane mode (guaranteed no cellular) and then connect to a wifi network. If you make a call using messaging + it will work and if somebody calls your Verizon number the app will ring and you can make calls. Very cool

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yup, first step, but a good one

more details here

wifi calling is here - sort of

0 Likes