iPhone 4s slow after upgrade
nkfain
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I finally did the iOS 8.2 upgrade, my iPhone 4s became very slow and sluggish responding to my swipes/touches.  It also will shut off before the battery is completely drained, like at 10% or 15% battery left.

Can anyone tell me how to fix these problems??

I would have never done the update had I known this was going to happen!!

Thanks!!!

Nikki

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 4s slow after upgrade
mama23dogs
Legend

My mothers 4S is working fine on iOS 8.2.

You may have to eliminate some apps that were optimized for 64 bit devices.  While the iphone 5S is a 64 bit, in theory, the iphone 6 and 6+ is a true 64 bit.  Apps optimized for the iPhone 6 may crash and will run slow On the 4S or 5C.

generally slow is a software problem. 

back up and do a factory reset.   If you have an available Mac computer, running current itunes, you can backup to the Mac Or windows PC in excellent running condition.  I highly recommend it Over icloud.  Just to be extra safe, import photos and video to your computer or cloud storage.   Set up as new with the backup.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
nkfain I am sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with your phone! Since this began, have you done any trouble shooting with the phone such as a soft reset? Or backing up and restoring your phone with iTunes? Just want to see what has been tried so far so we can take the next step to get your phone back to health BryanS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
nkfain
Enthusiast - Level 1

BryanS,

I think I did the soft reset, if that is holding down the power button and home button until the Apple appears.

I back my phone up to iCloud, not iTunes, will that work?

Thanks,

Nikki 🙂

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately it's going to be slow and resetting it probably isn't going to change much of anything in regards to speed.  iOS 8.2 is just taking a toll on your aging device.  It would have been best to not even update..but since it has been done...you're kinda stuck with it because I don't believe there is a way to roll back to an older version of iOS.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

My mothers 4S is working fine on iOS 8.2.

You may have to eliminate some apps that were optimized for 64 bit devices.  While the iphone 5S is a 64 bit, in theory, the iphone 6 and 6+ is a true 64 bit.  Apps optimized for the iPhone 6 may crash and will run slow On the 4S or 5C.

generally slow is a software problem. 

back up and do a factory reset.   If you have an available Mac computer, running current itunes, you can backup to the Mac Or windows PC in excellent running condition.  I highly recommend it Over icloud.  Just to be extra safe, import photos and video to your computer or cloud storage.   Set up as new with the backup.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
nkfain,

Those are awesome steps to take. If this continues after that soft reset though it may be worth trying a full reset to factory settings. Backing up before doing that is very important though. A back up to iCloud will work great as we're sure everything is set to back up! If you go into your settings under iCloud you can make sure everything is set to back up!

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes