iPhone 5s
brownbecky6_
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is my daughters phone using data when she is at home? We also have wifi threw Verizon fios??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5s
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's the same question I would ask, brownbecky6!. We also have wireless internet in my  home (though with a different residential service provider as FiOS is not available in my area). I have my wife and son’s smartphones programmed to connect to it automatically when they leave. When I noticed a spike in usage on my wife’s line, I asked her if she had changed anything (such as disable Wi-Fi access). She said she hadn’t. I came to realize that the device was still connecting to Verizon’s cellular network even though she was at home and within range of Wi-Fi. 

It does that because the device is designed to seek the Verizon Wireless network before other networks. In order to be exclusively using Wi-Fi, one must disable cellular data on the device. To do that on the iPhone 5s, go to Settings> Cellular> turn Cellular Data to “Off”.

DionMMMM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5s
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also turn off the Wifi assist option in the settings too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.