Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
iPhone 6
marycatherine0

I currently have the iPhone 5c and I'm wanting the 6 or 6 plus but I am not due for an upgrade at the time. If I were to purchase a phone from a friend, would I be able to use it? Does it need to be Verizon? Will it interfere with the timing on my next upgrade?  Also, does it need to be unlocked or anything specific like that for it to work? Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 6
Weth
Sr. Leader

You can get a Verizon phone from someone else and switch devices.  It will not have any impact on your current contract. All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. 

GEnerally it it must be a Verizon phone.  for the iPhone 6, you can get an unlocked iPhone on another carrier to work with Verizon, but there is important caveats. First, you cannot directly activate the phone.  You must have a working SIM card from another phone on your account to use or swap.  Second, if you swap SIMs (such as from your iPhone 5c), the phone will work, but  will show up in your account as Non Verizon device.   You also would not be eligible for any discounts on that line.