iPhone 6s with New Contract?
wilsml

I'm trying to get a straight answer since I keep getting different answers.  I am an existing Verizon customer and have had 2 year contracts for many years.  My most recent contract was up in March of 2015.  Can I upgrade to the new iPhone 6s the same as I always have for $200 by signing a new 2 year contract.  As a side note, I'm on a plan with my spouse who is not upgrading and we are not changing plans.  I've heard it both ways and have even read on here that you can if you call but I would prefer to go to the store.  A friend of mine went to the store and was told he could not but I don't know his whole situation.   I hope to get this clarified.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 6s with New Contract?
Snn5
Legend

Really depends on what plan you are on now and how much you might save on the new plans offered.  You pay full price for the phone either way.  Contracts have an upgrade fee AND cost twice as much for line access ($40) vs Device Payment Plan ($20) agreements.  So, don't be fooled by a $700 phone costing only $200 upfront.  However, you can still upgrade to a contract if you wish since you are a current customer.  Of course, discounts depend on the plan subscribed to so we need more information to better assist.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

And you have not listed your "whole situation", either, so for us to give advice would be meaningless if you don't provide you "whole situation". Whether or not you would be able to upgrade at a discount MAY depend on what plan you currently have. Whether or not a contract phone is less expensive than a full retail price phone MAY depend on what plan you currently have.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Really depends on what plan you are on now and how much you might save on the new plans offered.  You pay full price for the phone either way.  Contracts have an upgrade fee AND cost twice as much for line access ($40) vs Device Payment Plan ($20) agreements.  So, don't be fooled by a $700 phone costing only $200 upfront.  However, you can still upgrade to a contract if you wish since you are a current customer.  Of course, discounts depend on the plan subscribed to so we need more information to better assist.

0 Likes
wilsml

I don't really know that my plan has a name.  My spouse and I have two iPhones on the plan, we share 4GB of data and have had the plan for like 8 years.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your plan has a name and it is on your bill. The plans with data shared between phones have only existed for the last three years or less. So you have changed your plan at least once in the eight years since becoming a VZW customer.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

There is a BIG difference between each line having a 2 GB data plan and "sharing" 4 GB. If you are "sharing" 4 GB of data, you have not had the plan for 8 yrs as Ann154 has pointed out that plan has only been around since early 2012. It started off as Share Everything and then changed its name to More Everything. If each line has its own 2 GB data pool from which to pull, that is not "shared" data and you are likely on a Nationwide Family Share plan, possibly Americas Choice. The "Share" in Nationwide Family Share is for minutes and possibly text but NOT data.

wilsml

We share 4GB, we don't each have 2GB and have unlimited talk and text.  I've had my current phone since March of 2013 and haven't changed plans during that time.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You are on the More Everything plan, then. You should be able to purchase a new phone at the contract price, but would likely have to go into a Verizon store and ask for a new contract. You may want to consider switching to the new Verizon plan and purchasing your phone on DPP. You say your wife is not upgrading, but is she still under contract?

Your monthly cost is most likely something like the following.

2 smartphone line access fees = 2 x $40

4 GB of data = $60

Total before taxes = $140

If you move to the new Verizon plan your monthly cost could be

2 smartphone line access fees = 2 x $20(if your wife is currently out of contract.

1 smartphone line access fee of $20 + 1 smartphone line access fee of $40 if your wife is currently under contract

6 GB of data = $60

Total before taxes if your wife is not under contract = $100, $120 if your wife is currently under contract.

Now on to the cost of your phone.

Old plan = $200 + $40 upgrade fee

Verizon plan with DPP = 16 GB iPhone 6S for $650/24 = $27.08 monthly payment added to your $120 service cost if your wife is under contract = $147.08, BUT remember you are not paying $240 up front for the phone. If you were to take that $240 you are planning to pay and simply use it as a down payment on the phone, your monthly payments would drop to $17.08 added to your monthly service cost if your wife is currently under contract of $120 bringing your monthly cost to $137.08 which is LOWER than your current monthly cost WITH 2 EXTRA GB OF DATA. Of course, if your wife IS NOT under contract your monthly cost INCLUDING PHONE COST would be $117.08

Of course, this is all before taxes, old plan AND new plan.

0 Likes