iPhone Upgrade Program - Will VZW offer
Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm looking to upgrade an iPhone5 to the 6S, and after watching to long drawn out Apple unpacked event today, I took notice of the iPhone Upgrade Plan being offered by Apple. I've noticed other carriers are offering iPhone upgrades as well, and I got to wondering - Will Verizon have an iPhone Upgrade Plan that competes with the one being offered by Apple. At a price that is comparable to VZW's current pricing and previous pricing on the latest iPhones, and includes Apple Protection Plan- what is the benefit to going through VZW for the device? 

So, once again - will Verizon be offering a similar plan or program where iPhone users can upgrade their phones when the next generation device comes out?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone Upgrade Program - Will VZW offer
Loquat
Master - Level 1

If I can see any reason for choosing Verizon over Apple is the line access discount.  The reason most of us received the discount was because we were on Edge or the Device Payment Plan.  Verizon could very easily remove the $20 line access fee and return it to the dreadful $40 if you choose not to use their payment plan.  Will it happen...who knows...I've read nothing to the fact either way.  Just pointing out something that Verizon *could* do...

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

A little off the main topic but I wonder if people who have been paying full retail for their devices to keep unlimited data have finally found a legit loophole to a payment plan by using Apple's plan to get their device while keeping their unlimited data plans.

0 Likes
Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I assume you are correct. I was looking at the cost analysis, and at VZW-

Current iPhone 6 Price:

16GB = 649.00  (add 129 applecare), and monthly cost = 32.41

64GB = 749.00 (add 129.00 applecare), and monthly cost = 36.58

Oh wait - it's the same price at Apple to get it as well, and you get an unlocked phone that can be on any carrier. I assume, this is a good thing for unlimited data plan users, and likely a bad thing for VZ, since their is some markup built in to the price of the iPhone when they sell it. Of course, the IPhone upgrade plan is good for apple too, since they get to sell their $280 cost to manufacture phone for 750, and give you a new phone after you've already paid 350+ towards it.

Just doing the math, this deal is a win-win for Apple, and I'm wondering if VZ is going to offer something to those of us that aren't on an unlimited data plan, and only care about the bottom dollar- giving as little money for a device that will depreciate in the next year.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Doubt it. Verizon is pushing towards unsubsidized pricing (hence them doing away with contracts for new customers and pushing the device payment plan). All carriers will be moving to that model so the subsidized phone will eventually be a thing of the past for all.