iphone 5 using to much data even when on wifi
billie66

I just got a iphone 5 two weeks ago and its using to much data even when connected to wifi just wondering what could be the problem

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iphone 5 using to much data even when on wifi
Weth
Legend

Part of the reason is you now have much faster Internet. When going from 3G to 4G LTE, people doing the "same thing" have consistently showed using 2 to 2.5 times more data in studies across the 4 major cellular carriers.

The reasons are multiple, but add up. Some of these include:

1) Video streams in high definition rather than standard definition (4 times more data)

2) Your web pages load faster and if any video is included it starts to stream. Since your web pages load faster, people tend to view more pages per unit time.

In your case, the big culprit is Facebook. It starts loading all kind of things, including video by default. You can turn these off. Close Facebook and don't open it for a few days and see if your data goes down.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets get that data usage under control billie66. Do you have all your apps closed after using them? Are you receiving notifications which can use data. Are you downloading movies, music or videos? We also like to advise our customers that you may experience a bit higher usage the first month or two of having your phone because its new and you have to set it up. Setting up your phone involves downloading new apps, setting up your favorite internet pages, email set up, music downloads, and simply getting use to the phone. Managing your usage can be really easy. Just make sure your phone is set up to automatically connect to wifi when in that particular area. Keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
cwg-tex

I have three iPhone 5s. All are using my WiFi while at home. One iPhone is sending data over Verizon's network, not WiFi, every 6 hours or so. The time of this data transfer changes every few days. I see data usage number on my Verizon account ranging from a few kilobytes to almost a gigabyte. Is this due to Verizon polling the iPhone for data usage and billing purposes on a regular basis? And what do these billing numbers mean? Where does Verizon get these numbers? Any running apps while on my WiFi should use the WiFi, not Verizon, correct?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cwg-tex. Thank you for messaging in. Usage can definitely vary. Your phone will use mobile data for applications that require cellular data, like Backup Assistant. These will not use a lot of data. It is possible that WiFi may be going dormant on your device when not in use, and if applications are not configured to not use 3G/4G, they may default to cellular data. To avoid this, please go under Settings, and make sure you go through all available options to disable Cellular Data updating/access.

You may also want to disable Mobile Data from Settings>Cellular when you are at a location with WiFi.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pacman503

You will never get a straight answer out of these people because most likely they are doing it on purpose so you use up all your data. You have to go to settings go to cellular data and then scroll down to "use cellular data for" and turn them all off so no green is showing. Then all the apps will  run on wifi only, but when you leave the wifi you have to turn back the apps you want to use.....pretty stupid right? Either someone at apple is really dumb or the phone companies paid them a lot of money to program the iphones that way.

0 Likes
drumforu
Enthusiast - Level 3

We just gotten new IPhone 5 and a IPhone 6 with a new contract. My wife and I had 4 `s before and never used over 1 GB a month. Now with the 5 and 6 we were already at 75% of 2 GB in just 2 weeks !!!! Nothing has changed in our usage or what we look at. Even at home and on Wi-Fi it is still using data !! Why is it that with the 4 we had very little data usage and with these we are having this enormous data use ?? I have turned everything off on it that can be turned off just short of it becoming disabled all together. I still think there is something wrong with the phones to be using that much data. We do not do anything at all. No Face time, no music, no videos. Nothing but texting and calls and once a day maybe Facebook for all of 5-10 minutes. How does that explain almost 2GB`s of data used???

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Part of the reason is you now have much faster Internet. When going from 3G to 4G LTE, people doing the "same thing" have consistently showed using 2 to 2.5 times more data in studies across the 4 major cellular carriers.

The reasons are multiple, but add up. Some of these include:

1) Video streams in high definition rather than standard definition (4 times more data)

2) Your web pages load faster and if any video is included it starts to stream. Since your web pages load faster, people tend to view more pages per unit time.

In your case, the big culprit is Facebook. It starts loading all kind of things, including video by default. You can turn these off. Close Facebook and don't open it for a few days and see if your data goes down.

mama23dogs
Legend

You might want to test if your phone is actually using your wifi.

if you turn off cell data for a few minutes and see if facebook and Safari is usable.

2 GBS per phone a month is normal use.

0 Likes
drumforu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I turn off cell data as soon as I walk in the door now. We went from .9 GB`S a month to 2.3 and still have 2 weeks left until the new period.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Going from 3G to LTE, 0.9 GB times 2.5 equals 2.3

That is what is expected. This is based on thousands of upgrades from 3G to LTE across Verizon, ATT, Tmobile, and Sprint.

0 Likes