iphone 8 visual voicemail not working
DANZIT59

I recently got a new iphone8 about a week ago and I just noticed the visual voicemail feature is not working. When I go to the voicemail tab all that appears is a blank screen with a button that says "Call Voicemail". If I press the call voicemail button it takes me to the old-style voicemail menu (same as calling *86), where you have to enter your passcode that I haven't done since I had a flip phone about 8 years ago. I am able to access my voicemail box this way and it does contain all my messages. When I receive a new voice message, or delete one, I receive a text message from Verizon with random numbers and characters. I have tried resetting network settings, as well as downloading the latest version of ios (ios 11.3) with no change. It is important to note that I had previously been using an iphone6 with no issues, but when I went to upgrade I tried out a google pixel 2 for about a week and ended up not liking it, thus switching to the new iphone8. Any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated. I don't receive many voice messages but it is definitely a pain to have to retrieve them the old school way.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 8 visual voicemail not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure your visual voicemail works is definitely our number one priority, DANZIT59. I am happy that when you dial *86 it is working, but we will get to the bottom of why the visual voicemail is not working.

When you are checking your Visual voicemail inbox, is your Wi-Fi turned off? Are you having issues accessing the internet? Have you tried to reset the network settings on your device? If not, here are the steps.

1. From the Home screen, navigate: Settings Settings Icon > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset Network Settings.
  3. If prompted, enter your passcode.
  4. Tap Reset Network Settings.

Please complete these steps and let me know if this helps. 

ChetonJ_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Droidophobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar problem.  I recently switched from a BB Z10 to an iPhone 8.  I am used to VVM on my BB converting my voice mail to text so I can read the messages right on the phone screen, which is what I've always considered as Visual voice mail.   Now I just get a list of the calls, and have to open them and then play them, i.e. auditory voice mail.  This happens when I have both WiFi and cellular service, and I've rebooted and reset things umpteen times.   Is this now the standard for Verizon's $2.99 Premium VVM feature?  Or another example of Apple's Dark Ages technology?

0 Likes
Droidophobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've done some more research on the VVM problem on Apple Communities.  Someone reported that they had contacted Apple and were told this was a problem with iOS11.2, and it would be corrected in 11.3.  I have the latest 11.3, and I am still having problems with VVM.

Several people claimed this is a problem with the way Siri is set up.  Both of the following solutions were offered.

1)  "This has everything to do with Siri being set Up.. Turn Siri off. Hold down the home and power until phone shuts off. Turn phone on, turn Siri on. It should ask you to complete a couple of responses. After Siri is setup, check your voice mail. Worked like a champ for me!"

2)  "The key I found is to go to Settings> Siri & Search...turn on "Press Home for Siri". Then do a reset (hold home button and on/off button at the same time for 10 seconds). Once I did this, the visual voice mail worked again for me.    BTW, I went back in to the Siri & Search and turned that funtion off again. Visual voice mail still works...........Hope this helps you."

I've tried both of these solutions, and I now get a notation saying "Transcribing Message," followed a few minutes later by "Unable to Transcribe this Message".  So apparently the Siri setup is involved with the problem, but I still don't have a solution.

Droidophobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

ETA:  Tried Solution 1 one more time.  Got "Transcribing Message" for about 5 minutes, then "Transcription Beta" followed by the transcribed message.  The phone rang when the transcribed message appeared.   Seems like Apple is working on the problem but doesn't have it quite fixed yet.

0 Likes
Droidophobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Apple Tech support.  They confirmed that VVM requires...

...VVM service from your carrier

...iPhone6 and later

...iOS 11.3

...American/Canadian English only

..."Listen for Siri" and "Press Home for Siri" both turned on and phone rebooted

They're using a Beta version now to try to get VVM to work and there are still bugs in the system.  They took all my info about my attempts and will submit same to their engineers and will get back to me with any other advice.

HTH someone.

0 Likes
Ashlynd

I'm not sure if you've gotten your visual voicemail to work, but I had the same problem when switching my SIM card back to my Verizon SIM. I came to this thread to find answers which unfortunately none of this worked, so what I did was attempted to change my voicemail password by going to setting> phone>Change Voicemail Password. After putting in the new code it just kept loading and not actually changing it, so I did those steps one last time and it worked! I'm assuming the phone was connecting with Verizon servers and took a minute to load.

0 Likes