what is a recommended data plan for an i phone 6 ?
jerrymend
Enthusiast - Level 1

II am using an i phone 4s with a data plan of 300 mb shared with my wife's samsung phone. We usually use 200 mb per month. I wand an iphone 6. What is the least expensive  but realistic and usable data plan  can really use ? We have unlimited talk and text. We do not   listen to music on the phone and don't use them for movies. We are now with att but ready to switch. I went to an att store but the rep only tried to sell me a $750 phone U-verse and an alarm system for my home. Said I could keep my old plan at same price but I'd need more data. I walked out due to the high pressure sale tactics and will switch to Verizon now.  My iphone is not under a contract. The samsung is.   I'd buy the i phone 6 for $300 and sign a 2 year contract. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks---

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: what is a recommended data plan for an i phone 6 ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so happy you are considering our wireless family jerrymend. We would love to have you join us. Here are some reasons to join our company http://vz.to/1OcsjXC . We have an awesome data calculator online via our website to help you analyze how much data you will need. Here is a link http://vz.to/1N4o1M1 . Pleae let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. When you're ready to join, you can call our sales team at 1-800-256-4646.

KinquanaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

What's nice is you can start off on one plan and bump it up if you need to. If you have overages and notice it in time you can back date it. Though if you want to bump back down and the price deal was different, you'd have to pay the price the plan is, even if it's more than you were paying.

That said, I'd be cautious of any smartphone on 500mb or less. The fact that you have 2 is impressive. Kudos.

I'd do at least 2GB to start with for $40 a month. Are you bringing the other phone over also or going to wait out the contract?

jerrymend
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your help. I will

Be keeping samsung on the AT&T plan till it expires. Will transfer the new I phone to verizon. AT&T will lose a 20 year customer. $40 pet mont for 2 gb sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

They have smaller plans as well, my concern with a new phone is all the customizing you'll want to do. Download apps, update apps etc. Are you currently using a 4G Lte device? Something else to keep in mind is that going from 3G to 4g service you'll see a big increase in usage.

Also, I was looking at the more everything plan, thinking you were bringing 2 devices over. Unfortunately the single line plans are more expensive. I believe it's $60 for 1Gb and then the $40 line access fee. Around $115 after taxes, depending on your state.

0 Likes
lie2me
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have friends using T-mobile with their iPhone 6 and they are happy with coverage.  However, they are using it within city limits and freeways in southern california and not in rural areas. 

You could try taking your old phone over to Tmobile first to see if it works for you.

I too have 2 phones on a really old contract and no matter what I do, our data will go down and fees will go up.

The Edge plan works best if you are a family of 4 sharing the same plan. 

I am considering switching to T-Mobile because their plans are better and no nonsense.

Verizon plans are so complicated and if you exceed your monthly data, they are going to charge for it.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

While t mobile was cheaper for me, I live in a main city and couldn't get coverage inside my house. I pay more with Verizon, but I get and use what I pay for.

It's all going to come down to personal preference.

0 Likes
lie2me
Enthusiast - Level 2

One other thing to consider with Verizon is the prepaid monthly plan where you can bring your own iPhone.

If you were only using 200MB of data, the 1Gb of data on the prepaid may work for you.  You would want to be sure to use Wifi to update all apps and operating system.  Only occasionally use the cell connection for data.  I put my 12 year old son's phone on the prepaid plan to see how it worked.  The monthly minutes ran out when he did not use the cell phone so I have not bothered with updating it.  I  think you get the same coverage and speeds but I am not absolutely certain. 

0 Likes
jerrymend
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. T Mobile is not an option and right now I can only switch 1 phone. I will do further research.

0 Likes
jerrymend
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your answers. I will do further research.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I Would do the single line 1GB $60. 

Keep in mind the 2GB above for $40 must also have $40 access charge for phone, so $80 total.

0 Likes