Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,486 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
what's up with the data usage?
TAMDG

I travel to our vacation rental about once a month, or at least every other month.  Sometimes, we blow through data and sometimes we don't.  I turn off all the cellular functions on non-critical apps but it does no good.  I do tether my laptop from my hotspot periodically but the duration and frequency are short.  Is the cellular data with Verizon so bad that I'm never going to get on top of this?  My husband and I share a plan, and get the 8G.  That should be plenty as we don't watch movies, play games or video's on our phones.  This is getting so frustrating, I thought Verizon was the right carrier for us.  I think I'm going to shop this around.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: what's up with the data usage?
Jaye2802

I have had the same thing happen to me on my iPhone X.  I have been with Vz for 17 days and supposedly have used all my data. reviewing the Data Usage on my account of 19 instances for 1.5 G of data that the phone was on my home WiFi and some were when I was asleep.

On my iPhone account settings my background app refresh, digital downloads, all extra data usages are disabled.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, TAMDG. We always want to make sure that you understand exactly what is happening with your data. Do you have your Wi-Fi Assist turn on? This can be the culprit when you are worried about data usage. It does use data even if you are connection to Wi-Fi and the connection is poor.

0 Likes
KSDEARTH

My wifi assist has been off for a month now and I'm having the same issues with my 6s.

0 Likes
michelles_vzw
Verizon Employee

We understand the importance of ensuring your data usage is being billed correctly, Jaye2802. I understand you are also connected to WiFi when you notice data being used from your allowance. Can you tap on settings<cellular<WiFi assist. Is WiFi assist currently enabled or disabled?

Thank You,

MichelleL_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Jaye, you are looking at data reporting.  Data doesn’t report live.    Like writing a check, it isn’t deducted until later, often hours later when you are home connected to Wifi. 

Look on your phone, in settings, cellular usage.  It tells you what used data and how much. If it says you used 8 gigs in a week, then you did. 

You only have a complaint if your phone says it used less than your My Verizon account.

0 Likes
Jaye2802

Michelle- My cellular data has been turned off for 3 days. I have now had 3 different phones all do the same thing. This isn’t my first iPhone, and as technology professional I actually know how these things work! 18 days with Verizon! All

this company wants is for the user to pay more for the network. Proud owner of Apple paperweights!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

If you are tethering to a laptop, you can easily use 8 gigs in a very short time. 

You are the sole control of your phone and it’s data use.  Verizon only reports your use back to you In the My Verizon Account.

Your phone is an independant meter of your data use.  It shows a line item for tethering and hotspot, as well as all your other individual apps and services that usr data. 

If your phone says it used 8 gigs in a weekend, then it did.  If your phone agrees with Verizon’s totals in your My Verizon account, then Verizon is counting accurately.

Until you track your data on the phone (not your My Verizon account) for a bill cycle then you cannot be pointing at the carrier for your data use. 

The analogy I use is a checkbook.  You write checks and they clear and deduct overnight. 

What you are writing is, you are not keeping track of the check register (the phones data use) which shows how much data you used, then complaining you are “overdrawn“.  

Stuff to learn.  Data Management - Cause for gray hair, hair pullin... - AT&T Community

mama23dogs
Legend

Jaye2802 wrote:

Michelle- My cellular data has been turned off for 3 days. I have now had 3 different phones all do the same thing. This isn’t my first iPhone, and as technology professional I actually know how these things work! 18 days with Verizon! All

this company wants is for the user to pay more for the network. Proud owner of Apple paperweights!

If only with Verizon for 18 days, on new phones, you had a clean slate to start with. 

So how much data does your phone say it used?  

Does it agree with Verizon’s count?

0 Likes
Jaye2802

Thank you for your post. I appreciate the unnecessary Analogy. I neither tether my phone, nor use the hotspot. I  well aware of data usage/reporting between the phone and Verizon account. thanks

0 Likes