Activating 3G in extended network - Alaska
slcase89

My boyfriend & I moved to Anchorage, AK in September. We both have iPhone 4 phones. We get service here under the extended network, which works great. The problem is, my boyfriend can access 3G on his phone, but I can't access it on my phone, so I only get 1x service. It's been really frustrating to pay for this smartphone every month when I can't access the data network and use many of the features unless I'm connected to wifi (which isn't feasible a lot of the time). Is there anything I can do to connect to 3G of the extended network here? I had talked to verizon when we first got here and they basically said the only way was to connect to a Verizon tower (not extended) and update the roaming (wish they had told me that before we moved when I asked them if I needed to do anything to my phone, etc). Just hoping there's another option here, since I won't be able to do that for quite some time. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Activating 3G in extended network - Alaska
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there slcase89.  That is awesome that both you and your boyfriend move to Alaska.  I hear its beautiful over there and I hope that the move went as smooth as possible.  I would be just as upset if my significant others phone was working better than mine and I absolutely want to see what we can do to get yours up and running to the same performance rate.

At this time, the best option would be to take it to a Verizon Wireless network area and dial *228 (send) and press option 2 when the voice prompts you to, but I know to complete this step would not be easy for you by any means.

Some other things you can try are doing a soft reset on your phone,http://vz.to/tQWFpp and you can also try resetting your network settings, http://vz.to/ujajTa.

Please attempt these steps and update us with results.

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TomThePilot
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a pilot and travel to Anchorage weekly.  In order to get data in extended network, you have to enable data roaming.

Go to Settings> General > Cellular> Roaming and make sure both voice AND data roaming are set ON..

The phone views "extended network" as roaming but you will NOT be billed for roaming (data or voice) in extended network.

--Tom

Chugiak2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

slcase89 & TomThePilot,

As of last night, it looks like Verizon switched on the LTE towers.  My iPad mini is working great on the Verizon LTE network, but by iPhone is still on extended.  Hang in there!

Myself, I've been chompin' at the bit to get off of the crappy ACS network, whom Verizon has partnered with for years.  Its slow and their service goes out every once in awhile.  And, I definitely can't wait to see how Verizon affects the broadband market in Alaska as well.  They've needed some stiff competition around here for a long time.

Welcome to Alaska, by the way!

usafatcmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am picking up the Verizon 4G LTE here in Eagle River. Still haven't heard of the "official launch" but I am sure they know there are plenty of Verizon users in the Anchorage area that they may be testing the towers to see how they handle before deciding to announce a official launch. I don't see them opening up any stores though until possibly July or August; I know they have purchased plenty of stores, the biggest high profile store will be the location in Tikahtnu next to Firetap.

Gleno

Start date is june 7 for data only all boice services will be on acs until 2014 per the fairbanks paper quoting the alaska vp. Only selling data devices here until then thur retailers. No stores,will not be able to buy or activate a phone until sometime in 2014. Do not understand how the FCC can let them do this they are not taking care of their customers here. Have been a customer for 20+ years and moved to AK last August and have waiting and was exciting when i heard until i read the paper. Would like to hear from one of you verizon cust.reps about yhis with an explanation not another excuse!!!!!

0 Likes
VZWMJS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Gleno,

The reason why Verizon cannot activate any cellular phones in the area yet is because there is as yet no capability to activate voice services. LTE is a data only network. The 1X and EVDO (EVolution Data Optimized/Only depending on who you ask) don't exist through Verizon Wireless as of yet. They probably won't ever exist in Alaska actually. Eventually, Verizon will enable voice over LTE and that's when you will be able to get native Verizon services.

Can you imagine if Verizon starting selling phones there and had to have people ship their phones to another state just to activate it? That would be an even worse scenario than the one you and slcase89 are dealing with currently.

As it stands now, Verizon voice customers that have updated the roaming lists via *228 in the contiguous states can roam on ACS or whoever it might be and use 3G through ACS and 4G through Verizon. New devices purchased in Alaska will be data only until then. They don't have the infrastructure to activate voice lines and the quality of service would be below par.

Sorry for the longwindedness. I hope I've answered your question. 

0 Likes
Gleno

What do you think us exsiting customers in Alaska are going to have to do to get a new Verizon phone. I think that Verizon is throwing there exsisting phine customers here to the curb. Thnaks VZW!

0 Likes
usafatcmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey everyone, incase you don't know, you can now obtain a 907 phone number online. I just switched over to a 907-312 number.

0 Likes
akpwalker

I just called Verizon and their automated service allows to change my number to a 907 number, which is awesome. So this is a step in the right direction. My concern is activating the number to the phone. Can this be done from AK?

usafatcmike - what did you need to do to activate the changed number to your current phone?

0 Likes