Re: Activating iPhone 5 to a different number on family plan
rockkelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have unlimited data but havent been successful with the switch to even know if it will work.... I'll keep you posted.

0 Likes
wigitywak

I actually switched to the new plan because even with a higher tier data plan, it was cheaper for my family.  You will not need a new SIM card as long as you don't try to activate the phone yourself before you call them.  One Verizon rep told me that the SIM'S were already programmed, but that didn't sound right.  As it turns out, the SIM card gets programmed when you activate the phone, so as long as you call Verizon first and have them select the line to activate it on, you'll be fine and you won't have to wait for a new nano-SIM card.

0 Likes
wigitywak

No, you just need to turn off your existing phone (the one on the line that you want to use) before you start.

0 Likes
WildcatsAZ81

Just received my phone that I ordered on another line in my family plan.  I just signed into my VZW account and did the activation that way on another line and had no issues at all.  All the information that you need is on your receipt including the sim ID.

Was probably the easiest thing I've done!!!!

Enjoy everyone!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't forget to accept the terms and conditions of the new contract on the original line the phone was purchased under. The contract extension is on that line and not on the line you want the phone activated on. If that doesn't happen, you might end up getting charged the full price of the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bryann9182

So all you did was log into the Verizon site, click activate/switch device, typed in the MEID from your iPhone 5 onto YOUR line and hit submit? Did you purchase from Apple or VZW? I purchased from Apple and on my Verizon account on the number I purchased the phone with it says "we have received notification that you have purchased a device for this line, please activate when you receive" blah blah blah.

0 Likes
WildcatsAZ81

exactly what I did.  Only difference is that I pre-ordered direct from Verizon

0 Likes
alexandraeleni
Enthusiast - Level 1

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE. My iPhone 5 just came that I ordered using my mom's upgrade. Do not turn on the phone yet. Turn off your current device. Call the number in the activation pamphlet 1877.807.4646. When they ask you which phone you would like to activate do your number. You will be transferred to someone quickly (I don' even think I had to wait 2 min) and they will walk you through it and help you. It literally took 5 min for it to be activated. I didn't need to buy any new sim card. It is so easy, and probably took tops 10 min for the whole set up of the phone. Good luck!

0 Likes
Drinkie46
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently on hold with VZ support again - have been working activation issues all day with iPhone5 - as when I called to activate today the rep associated it with the upgrade eligible number then told me she could not change the number over and I should go to my local store to have the SIM replaced - I went to the store, and they told me that I need to go to an Apple store to get the issue resolved. I called the local Apple store before driving there, and they (rightly) told me it was a carrier issue.

I am now three further calls to the 0204 support line, and have had two different answers so far, one is that there is a bug and at 1201Eastern tonight the fix will go in and allow me to activate the 5 on the line I want. Another answer is that the SIM will age out tomorrow by this time and that I will be able to call in and activate the 5 - both of these answers seem dodgy to me, and I am currently on hold with the 0204 support line again, now speaking with Heather - she assured me that because Verizon initially activated the phone against another number in the plan, that even though they deactivated it again, it now needs to age for 24 hours before it can be activated against the number I want it to be activated against. She told me they have had several of these problems today and that Verizon discovered this issue today and that its due to the nano sim technology - she also mentioned they were educating as many staff as they could to avoid more outbreaks of this. She did tell me the sim is not broken, and I do not need another sim.

So I am stuck with waiting for tomorrow roughly lunchtime on Saturday to try this again with Verizon. Not sure what I will do if for some reason it does not work

The lesson is for anyone reading this, do not allow them to activate a 5 against a line you do not want your phone to sit on, as you will have to wait 24 hours (so long as the aging theory is correct)

Cheers

0 Likes
tomatoketchup

I was told the same 24 hour story described above by Drinkie46.  And I agree that all these answers sound very dodgy.

But both the Verizon store manager where I bought my phone and also 2 separate reps on the customer service line told me the exact same thing- that after 24 hours, I should be able to switch the lines without any problems.  We'll have to wait and see I guess.

The key question is:  once a phone number has been associated with a nano sim card, can it be erased and replaced with a different number at a later time?  Because that's essentially what they're telling us will happen in a 24 hour period.  Anyone know for sure?

0 Likes