Re: Activating iPhone 5 to a different number on family plan
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

You want to call VZW before turning on the phone. Let them know you want to transfer your iphone5 to another number. They should be able to pull up you order and get the SIM ID and do this switch. This will likely case your activation to go into "pending" and they will say it would push in 1 hour or 24 hours. There is an automatic push at midnight so at the latest you should be up and running shortly after that. In the meantime, be sure your old phone is off and VZW said keep the new phone off but I turned mine on after a while to do other stuff (load apps, adjust settings, etc) and i received a popup box about 2 hours after beginning the process saying the phone was now active.

0 Likes
Activating iPhone 5 to a different number on family plan
Drinkie46
Enthusiast - Level 2

all worked this morning for me with an online activation - did not speak to any of those wonderful reps who all gave me a different story just did it on the Verizon web site, must be something to do with overnight updates to the backend servers at Verizon - restoring from backup now, and looking good

bryann9182

On your "My Verizon" did it say the phone you purchased the line for say it required a activation and was greyed out? That's what it says on my page. Did you simply just ignore this and activate right on your line?

0 Likes
Drinkie46
Enthusiast - Level 2

I selected my phone and line number and it was not greyed out - sorry thats how it went for me, personally I think Verizon have failed badly with this part of the new release.....

0 Likes
radnj1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did it on my own as well last night after speaking to two clueless reps and worked just fine.

0 Likes
rockkelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just told by a Verizon Rep that the iphone had to be DEactivated for 24 hours so now I have to wait until tomorrow to activate it on my line.... URGH!! that is not what the rep told me yesterday.

0 Likes
benzboy429
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I recieved my 5 the morning of the 21st and did not know any of this and activated it on my own on the upgrade # i used on my account. I have been tossed and turned by these VR's. I was told I need a new sim, i have to wait i have to this. I am at my witts end. Now they got the upgrade number on my 4s and the number I want on my 5 disconnected and have to wait 24hrs. I can't believe this all went on.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

rockkelly wrote:

I am doing the same thing. My son is eligible for an upgrade but he's only 8 yrs old so I am giving him my phone (HTC Rezound) and buying the iphone 5 on his account.

An EIGHT year old with a smartphone? For that matter, any cell phone? Really? 

With that said, I hope you are aware that you will still need a data plan on his line and it will start at $30 per month for 2 GB.  He will also need a new SIM card for the Rezound associated with his line.  The Rezound has a full sized SIM card and you can't use the current SIM card attached to your line for his line.  Also the iPhone 5 uses a nano SIM card which is smaller then the micro SIM card used in some 4G LTE phone like the DROID Razr and Galaxy Nexus.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bryann9182

Went down to my local Verizon store this afternoon (there was NOBODY in there which I found odd lol) and the reps there said to call to activate and to NOT turn the device on, otherwise the Nano SIM will be assigned to the line that you ordered it on.

He suggested to call Verizon support (or use 611 or *611 I forget?) and explain to them the situation, and they could switch it over without any issues.

0 Likes
rockkelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes i am aware, thank you and since its an upgrade that tells you that he's had since he was 6 & starting school.  He rides the school bus and with all of the horror stories (leaving children on the bus while they were asleep, dropping children off to the wrong parents, etc...) we, as parents,  decided he should have a phone for emergencies. He has had a "smart" phone for 3 months (my old phone) so he does have the 2GB/$30.

I ended up going to Apple, they replaced the sim card, with no problem, and i am finally able to use the iPhone on the correct line. the store said i had to wait until Sunday even with the new sim but i called Verizon on their 800# as advised from the "Upgrade transfer concern" thread and the rep had no problem activating the iphone...

0 Likes