Beware of iPhone 5 if you use Bluetooth....
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, after a bunch of issues with Verizon that really ticked me off (the $30 bogus "upgrade fee") I felt I pretty much had no choice but to upgrade for a number of reasons.  I grudgingly went ahead and ordered an iPhone 5.  Was supposed to ship by Oct 26, but surprisingly came in 2 days ago.  However, that only begins the story.

Got it, and attempted to restore from iCloud.  Seemed to work OK, however when I attempted to reconfigure "Good for Enterprise" in order to access corporate messaging, the Good app kept bombing.  VZ was of no help, so actually went to an Apple Store.  Nobody could help (including Good).  As an aside, also had massive delays in other "updates" actually installing, and ridiculously poor WiFi performance.  Finally, after Apple could find no other solution, had to have the initial build restored and essentially load it as a "new phone".  Apple tech stated that they were seeing issues with restoring from iCloud pretty frequently after release of IOS6.  Said that a high percentage were failing - especially if any communication apps had been loaded on the device.  Did the "start from scratch" rebuild (they simply blew the original image back on the device at the Apple Store).  Seemed to go OK, though obviously was FAR more effort than it should have been, and not everything moved (messaging history, some phone numbers, etc).  Old iPhone 4 was going to my daughter, so since it seemed like the 5 was working, went ahead and upgraded hers to IOS6.  That's when the next set of issues struck.

Tried to use my Jawbone Icon HD bluetooth headset - it paired, but then would connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect, repeatedly.  Hmmm....  Tried everything .  Deleted it, rebooted, checked settings, reset the Jawbone, you name it.  Nothing worked.  So, then decided I'd try with the iPhone 4 which had worked perfectly with it for a long time.  Same issues.  Oh oh.  Went to VZ store - they duplicated issue.  Paired Jawbone with 3 different "other" devices at the VZ store - no issues.  Perfect.  So clearly, it's the IOS6 and the iPhone 5 - problem is that the iPHone 4 can't be restored back to IOS5.  Now I have two bricks, as the phone is worthless to me without bluetooth.  Walked to Apple store, they spent time working on them and called Apple engineering - validated the issue.  Said that Apple "is telling manufacturers how to modify their devices to work with IOS6.  Are you kidding me?  Apple is that arrogant that they feel they can change their IOS and tell everyone else to change their devices, including backward compatibility?  Really? 

The Apple store was at least honest about it, and offered to swap out my iPHone 4 with one they had with IOS5 on it.  So, I did that , but now I have "activation problems" and the phone doesn't seem to be able to be activated.  For the iPhone 5, it's only been 2 days.  However, even with the Apple store reps STANDING NEXT TO ME IN THE VZ STORE VALIDATING THAT IT WAS A TECHNICAL ISSUE Verizon still wants to charge me another $35 to return the phone?  Are you serious?  And the store representative was rude, uncaring, and of no value whatsoever.

I now have an iPhone 5 that is partially restored, and does not work with Bluetooth.  An iPhone 4 that cannot be activated at the present time.  I've already paid the bogus $30 "upgrade fee" and have had my contract moved out two years, and am being told that I'll need to spend another $35 to return a device that does not work.  Apple really dropped the ball with the iPhone 5 and IOS6 (do a search on iPhone 5 and bluetooth problems).  But Verizon has provided less than zero value in this entire exercise.  I'm disgusted with the uncaring, poor customer service that Verizon is providing.  This is simply unacceptable. 

I'm sure that some of the Apple folks will blow this off, however I can provide the names and phone numbers of the Apple employees who have validated this issue as well as the name(s) of the specific Verizon employees that provided no value whatsoever.  One of the Apple techs trying to help (which at least they did, while Verizon did nothing whatsoever) mentioned that he was also disappointed when he got his new iPhone 5 because he could no longer use his Jambox Bluetooth speakers or his car bluetooth any longer.  He hopes that someday they'll release a fix for the issue but has no choices at the moment.

Bottom line - if you have any need for Bluetooth - beware.  It may or may not work on the new iPhone, and Verizon simply doesn't care.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Beware of iPhone 5 if you use Bluetooth....
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

BTW, what I expected from VZ in this case was simple. 

1)  When they become aware of the issue, let consumers know, and inform their own staff.

2)  When within 24 hours of a customer receiving one of these devices, and when it is totally validated and provent - not to mention supported by an Apple tech standing with the customer in the store - don't try to charge a $35 restocking fee to take the device back. 

It's that simple.  I don't expect VZ to solve the IOS or iPhone 5 technical issue - Apple needs to do that.  However, VZ is SELLING the device.  If they won't stand behind something like this, they are nothing but hacks providing no value, and should get out of the hardware business and just not sell them.  What they are doing is disgusting.  My expectations are pretty reasonable, and VZ has in no way even remotely met them. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not sure it will do anything but have you contacted the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device to see what they have to say? I don't use a Bluetooth headset but I do use the Bluetooth connectivity in my vehicle daily. So far no issues. I haven't tried it in the vehicle that has UConnect to see if it works well but I assume that it might since the iPhone 4 that was updated with iOS 6 still works (assuming the issue is related solely to the iOS).

I don't agree with the $35 restocking fee if the device is being returned for incompatibility issues (I can understand it for people that return it just because they changed their mind maybe)...not sure if this will work but you might try calling VZW and trying to explain your situation...they may or may not waive the fee. Worst case scenario is that they say no. I think the only issue with expecting VZW to announce to customers that Bluetooth may or may not work is the fact that this is technically true with any wireless device in respect to Bluetooth devices the customer may already own and want to pair with it. I know I have a couple of older items that wouldn't pair with my iPhone 4 or 4s (not sure of all of the technical specs behind it all but something about the profiles??). Not saying this is the case with the iPhone 5 or iOS 6...especially since you   seem to be saying that prior to the update to iOS 6 the iPhone 4 worked with the Bluetooth you're wanting to use. Hopefully Apple will address the issue (and others that some have posted about) in an update...and hopefully that will happen soon.  

0 Likes
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, in this case in the store, we tested with no less than 7 different Bluetooth devices.  All failed completely on the iPhone 5.  As I said, even Apple has acknowledged that this is a very real issue - with the Apple tech stating that he himself could no longer use his bluetooth hands free in his car or his Jambox audio device immediately upon upgrading to the iPhone 5. 

I have at this point gotten VZ to reluctantly agree to waive my $35 fee.  However, they were very clear that they take zero responsibility for the quality of the hardware or software provided by Apple.  It is totally at the customers expense.  This is unacceptable, and you find it nowhere else in technology. 

This is not the same as being "technically true for any device" when there are widespread reports of bluetooth issues with these devices.  BTW, I also just got off the phone (not the iPhone) with Apple, and they again acknowledged known issues.  My only issue here is the fact that more and more, VZ seems quite willing to take money (ie, "upgrade fee") but totally unwilling to in any way stand behind any of their products and services.  There is no such thing as a Service Level for Verizon.  It's simply, take what you get, pay up and shut up.

0 Likes