Call Forwarding Turned on Accidentally
par913

On April 1st we found out that all of our families calls were being forwarded to a random number so we called verizon and they turned it off and said they didn't know how it happened. This last saturday 5/7 we discovered that it was happening again and must have been activated either wednesday night or thursday morning. I randomly decided to check the "my verizon" app today and once again call forwarding was turned on!

Each time they have all been going to the same number. This number is a google voice number and I am not sure if it belongs to someone in our family and or if it is just some other random person's number. Because of privacy purposes google will not give out the email address associated with the number, after numerous searches the only thing I could find was a page that will send an email saying this number is associated with it, and if you have multiple google accounts their only advice is to just check the inboxes of each one. I don't know why they can't just have you answer security questions associated with the number in order to receive the email account information.

On our call histories it shows any calls that we received during the time it was turned on as outgoing calls to the google voice number, so not only do we not have access to the voicemails that are being left but we will never know who even called!!

This is beyond frustrating because I am in the process of looking for a new job and potential employers could be calling me and thinking that I am just ignoring them and I'll never know!!!

It's also frustrating that it seems like I will now need to check the account once a day if not multiple times a day to make sure it hasn't been turned on. It would be much better if verizon just gave the option to permanently disable the feature from our plan.

After looking through other forum posts I have come across 3 people saying the same thing has happened to them.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Call Forwarding Turned on Accidentally
SKUG
Enthusiast - Level 1

We had the same thing happen my wife and I starting yesterday. Our phones wouldn't ring and all incoming calls were redirected to a Google Voice number. This is beyond concerning - has Verizon been hacked? We know it wasn't erroneously set up by us as it was for both numbers on our account and neither of us has Google Voice.

0 Likes
Re: Call Forwarding Turned on Accidentally
par913

I don't know. This is becoming even more concerning. I just checked right now and it had been turned on again but to a different google voice number than last time.

0 Likes