Can I opt to not activate 5G service on a new iPhone 12 Pro?
Skywalk34
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can I opt to not activate 5G service on a new iPhone 12 Pro? My current plan does not support 5G and I'm not sure I want to have it yet since the availability is not great. I want the iPhone 12 Pro for the upgraded camera features. Can I still purchase the phone and not activate 5G? Cnet seems to think this is possible.

https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-12-apple-biggest-reason-to-buy-5g-phone-right-now-fomo/#:~:text=The....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I opt to not activate 5G service on a new iPhone 12 Pro?
JustKevin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same question while purchasing a 12 Pro and a Verizon sales associate said this is possible. I believe you'll have access to 4G LTE and 5G Nationwide without upgrading to an Unlimited plan, but not 5G Ultra Wideband.

I currently have the New Verizon plan with my iPhone 6s, and I'm fine with not having access to 5 G Ultra Wideband until my 12 Pro is paid off, at which time I plan to upgrade to one of Verizon's Unlimited plans. I need to manage my budget a bit, and can't go all in at once.

0 Likes
Re: Can I opt to not activate 5G service on a new iPhone 12 Pro?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are correct, JustKevin. The iPhone 12 will be able to connect to 4G service if 5G Nationwide is not available. We do have great news as to your concern. 5G nationwide is available on all of our plans and will be available for everyone to enjoy! You will not have to worry about any additional charges.