Can I use wi-fi only for Verizon when traveling ? But use my second eSIM
elleirdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

A similar question was answered in 2016. But, new phones with dual SIMs need a new answer.

I have a new #iPhone 14 Pro and will be taking an overseas trip. I have a Verizon eSIM and a local eSIM.  Right now, both SIMs are active

When overseas, I would like to force the Verizon eSIM into WiFi only mode for both voice and data. In that way, I can avoid roaming charges. Yet, while in WiFi at the hotel, I can check for messages and return calls.

However, I do not want to put the phone into airplane mode.  I want to use the second, local, eSIM on the local network.

You used to be able to turn off voice roaming, but I do not see the option. I do see the data roaming toggle.

So, is there a way to turn off data AND voice roaming for the Verizon eSIM -- which would put it into WiFi only mode? Yet, the second SIM is still active.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use wi-fi only for Verizon when traveling ? But use my second eSIM
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

One of our main goals is to keep you connected to your loved ones, especially when traveling outside the United States. Verizon offers you different options to be prepared for your trip, check details in the link below:
https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/?cmp=KNC-C-Mobility-NON-R-BPLU-NONE-NONE-2K0VZ0-COE-GAW-...

~Maria

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

elleirdad, it is important to manage your device the best way you see possible. To clarify, when you have the eSIM selected, under Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Roaming>do you see the option for voice roaming?

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-206955/

*Joshua

0 Likes
elleirdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sadly, no. There is only a data roaming toggle. No sub menu. No mention of voice roaming. 

E5E093F1-5F48-4AA1-8C4B-00B6408E563D.png

0 Likes
elleirdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, and before you ask, the Voice and Data option now set to the 5g option only gives you the choice to use 4g. It does not turn off the cellular modem access. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to help in every way possible, elleirdad. While I did not find a way to turn your main eSIM off (though screenshots in the following link suggest it may be an option), I found information that will help. You can delete the eSIM from Verizon, and you will be left with the local provider's service only. Since deleting the eSIM does not cancel your line or service, you should still have access to use Wi-Fi calling. Be sure to set that up prior to the trip. Here is how to delete the eSIM: http://spr.ly/66073fkOT . When you get back, we can create a new eSIM for you to use here on your Verizon Wireless plan. Does this sound like a usable option for you?

-George

0 Likes
elleirdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for thinking of this. However, I think the phone number is determined by the eSIM. If I am correct, then it would need the active eSIM to make WiFi calls as well.

Am I right about that?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

One of our main goals is to keep you connected to your loved ones, especially when traveling outside the United States. Verizon offers you different options to be prepared for your trip, check details in the link below:
https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/?cmp=KNC-C-Mobility-NON-R-BPLU-NONE-NONE-2K0VZ0-COE-GAW-...

~Maria