Corrupted contacts (email) on iPhone5
hh93454
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife just got an iPhone5. We used Backup Assistant to pull all her contacts from her old phone. We then used the Verizon iPhone application to transfer (sync) the contacts to the new phone. However, MANY email addresses are coming up as nnnn@facebook.com instead of the address shown in her old phone and on Backup Assistant.

So, how do we fix this?

THANKS!

Harold

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Corrupted contacts (email) on iPhone5
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I assume that she did not turn off the FB contacts option when she set up FB on the iPhone so that is why there are so many FB email addresses showing for her contacts. She needs to go in to settings on the phone, scroll down to Facebook and then turn off Contacts (and Calendar if she doesn't want all of those birthdays and events on her phone) under the "Allow These Apps to Use Your Account" section. Not sure if her contacts have been altered via the Backup Assistant since these feature hadn't already been turned off, but she can attempt to resync her backup to her iPhone to see if it goes back to normal.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I assume that she did not turn off the FB contacts option when she set up FB on the iPhone so that is why there are so many FB email addresses showing for her contacts. She needs to go in to settings on the phone, scroll down to Facebook and then turn off Contacts (and Calendar if she doesn't want all of those birthdays and events on her phone) under the "Allow These Apps to Use Your Account" section. Not sure if her contacts have been altered via the Backup Assistant since these feature hadn't already been turned off, but she can attempt to resync her backup to her iPhone to see if it goes back to normal.

0 Likes
hh93454
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! That fixed it. However, when I turned of Facebook contacts, all those email addresses went blank. Resyncing to backup assistant wrote those blanks back to Backup Assistant. So, I had to go put the email addresses back into Backup Assistant by hand, then resync.

it'd be nice if the default setting on FB contacts was off and that if you turned it on there was a warning that a lot of your REAL email addresses are going to be overwritten with fake ones.

Well, we recovered, but it was a pain. Appears to be a pretty poor design to have all your email contacts disappear with a default setting.

Thanks for the help! We'll keep that setting OFF!

Harold

0 Likes
taviscoelho

Have you ever accidentally deleted contacts on your iPhone? Did you lost all your important contacts on your iPhone?

Don't worry, there is still a way to recover contacts from iPhone with ease.

Though iPhone uses quite a different storage mechanism, still you can recover deleted or lost data (such as text messages, contacts, photos etc) with a third party specific iPhone data recovery software called Tenorshare iTunes Data Recovery. I used it to recover deleted photos from iPhone 4s and it worked. Here is a tutorial to guide you recover contacts from iPhone:

http://www.any-data-recovery.com/topics/mobile-devices/recover-contacts-from-iphone.html

0 Likes