Erase All Data
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

This makes no sense. If trading in your iPhone and you want all your private data erased here is what it says......

>>You can remove all settings and information from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch tapping "Erase All Content and Settings" in Settings > General > Reset.

1. If you wish to recover the data again, ensure that you have an iCloud or iTunes backup and that it is up to date.<<

So all the new owner needs to do is click on iCloud  and recover all the data you thought you had erased. That is just plain stupid. Where's the protection ?

richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Erase All Data
Tidbits
Legend

Everything is tied to your icloud... If you don't sign in then you can't restore using your backup. Also they would need physical access to your computer if they wanted to use one stored on the PC while.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Everything is tied to your icloud... If you don't sign in then you can't restore using your backup. Also they would need physical access to your computer if they wanted to use one stored on the PC while.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I can understand needing access to your computer if you backup to iTunes, which is obviously the way to do it. That's why I don't trust iCloud.  If you do trade in an iphone for an upgrade do you have to cancel/delete your iCloud account and start a new one?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Do you use Gmail? Yahoo? Anything of that nature. If you do then you'll always be on the same boat regardless if it is icloud or not.

You have to LOG IN. If you don't icloud backup is worthless. It's no different than Android with gmail.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Richie, YOUR iCloud account is YOURS.  It is tied to YOU.

It is not tied to the DEVICE one you wipe it.

A new owner of the phone would NOT be able to just "click on iCloud" and recover your data.  They would need your password which they (presumably) will not have.

If you get a new device, you don't start a new iCloud account, you simply log into the new device with the existing account and password.

rcschnoor
Legend

No, you don't have to delete your iCloud account and create nother. Your iCloud account would move with you to the new device, assuming you got another iPhone. If not, it would just sit there inactive until you did.

The reason the "new" owner of your phone would not just be able to "click on iCloud and recover all the data you thought you had erased is because I "assume" you won't write your iCloud password down for the new owner. If you don't give the new owner your iCloud user ID/password then when they "click on iCloud", they won't have access to your data!

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for that explanation, I feel better now about trading in my phone for a new one. Please check my other post here about the calendar.

Thanks ,  richie

0 Likes