How do I restore my phone number?
Jim_M

An upgrade to IOS 9.X on my iPhone5 launched automatically. The upgrade failed mid way due to low battery. As a result, the relationship between my device and Verizon Phone Number no longer exists. In Settings > Phone, the My Number line shows "Unknown". Any ideas how to restore that relationship?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Update for IOS 9 failed mid-way and broke the relationship between device and phone number. What happened?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’m sorry to hear your call was disconnected. We are definitely going to want to utilize iTunes in restoring the phone. Have you made sure your iTunes is fully up to date? Once it is, turn the iPhone off and leave it unplugged. The charging cable needs to be plugged into the PC only with iTunes open. On the phone, press and hold only the Home button. While you have this pressed, plug in the cable to the phone. Keep holding down the Home button until you see a message appear in iTunes similar to “An iPhone has been detected in recovery mode.” Follow the prompts that follow to restore the device.

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Update for IOS 9 failed mid-way and broke the relationship between device and phone number. What happened?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jim_M

Updating your phone should be an easy process. Were you able to complete the update once your phone was powered back on? What is the current iOS version installed on the phone? What happens when you plug the phone into a computer running the newest version of iTunes?

ChristopherM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jim_M

The update appears to have completed. In Settings>General>Software Update : It says that My IOS (.1 is up to date.

I've been on the phone with Verizon Tech Support (name of the tech was Dawinna (sp?)) We tried the preliminary reset steps, then went on to iTunes/iCloud. I attempted to Restore the phone within iTunes, but I keep getting a message that says "Find My iPhone must be turned off". I went into Settings>Cellular>Find iPhone and turned it off. NOTE: I can't find any other instance of that App anywhere. Every time subsequently tried to Restore, I get the same message. Once, when I tried to restore when the iPhone 5 was powered down, it said that it could not establish a cellular provider connection and couldn't restore.

0 Likes
Jim_M

BTW, Dawinna disconnected our call so that I could attempt to restore the phone. She said that she would call back, but never did.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’m sorry to hear your call was disconnected. We are definitely going to want to utilize iTunes in restoring the phone. Have you made sure your iTunes is fully up to date? Once it is, turn the iPhone off and leave it unplugged. The charging cable needs to be plugged into the PC only with iTunes open. On the phone, press and hold only the Home button. While you have this pressed, plug in the cable to the phone. Keep holding down the Home button until you see a message appear in iTunes similar to “An iPhone has been detected in recovery mode.” Follow the prompts that follow to restore the device.

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
Jim_M

@ChristopherM_VZW - Thanks! I'm back on line.  Jim M

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're glad to hear, Jim! I'll pass the thanks on to Christopher. Have a great day.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes