How does upgrades work?
soxandfox

My contract is coming to an end and this is my first time with a contract.

How does the whole process work..?

And do I still get a discount on the phone price when I do upgrade like when I first started my contract?

Thank you for any help!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How does upgrades work?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

A lot depends on your current plan - an older legacy (Nationwide) plan?  More Everything, the newer Verizon plan?  You do have lots of options, and a discounted phone MAY still be an option, but may not be your best or most cost effective one.

Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to do anything. If your current phone is still in good shape and is working well for you, then take your time in looking over all your options before making any changes.  If you have already changed to the new Verizon plan, then your line access fee will drop form $40 to $20 and a new "contract" is not an option.  Otherwise, for More Everything and older plans, your current plan and pricing will continue unchanged.

Post back with what plan you have now and your current data usage, and we can better advise you as to "what's next".

AILCOL18

Im not sure what plan I have I just know I pay 60$ monthly for unlimited talk and text and get 1gb of data

how would uogrades work with that my phone is beyond broke so I need to upgrade when I can

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The name of the plan would be shown on your monthly statement.

If you have fulfilled a two year commitment on an older plan, you should be able to upgrade the phone. I, myself, purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge last month due to the fact that my old S4 is starting to act up (power switch problem).

I am on the old More Every Unlimited Talk & Text with 1GB of data. No problems were encountered at the Verizon Wireless store.

0 Likes
AILCOL18

I think I might be in the same plan but how do upgrades work? i have never been on a contract before I have always had cricket

so when it's time to upgrade do I pick any phone? How much do I pay?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have two avenues to consider. You can keep the existing plan, or, switch to any of the current ones offered by Verizon Wireless.

New phones can be purchased one of two ways. You can pay retail, own the phone outright, be able to terminate your account and take your phone to another carrier without being slapped with any additional required payments.

The other option is to go with a stretch pay where the retail cost of the phone is paid off over a two year period. For example, the Microsoft Lumia 735 has a retail price of $120. You could either pay $120 upfront, or, pay $5/month for two years.

If you go the stretch pay route, and choose to leave Verizon Wireless, you would need to pay off any remaining balance before being able to take your phone and number to another provider.

I, myself, paid for my new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge upfront and kept my old plan as opposed to going with a newer one (I won't go into the reasons why I opted to do things this way).

0 Likes