I Phone 6 Costly Mistake
SturgisMI

In mid July, my family of 4 switched to Verizon from Sprint, and from Samsung smart phones to  I Phone 6s.  In the past five years, we had never surpassed 2gb of data per month. The salesman at the Verizon store in Portage, MI was aware of this as I made it a clear point in deciding which plan to contract.  Because Verizon's package made 6gb per month less expensive than simply going with 2gb, we signed that contract.  18 days into our first billing cycle, I was notified that we were about to hit our limit. I bumped it up to 10gb.  Now, 14 days into our 2nd billing cycle, we've been notified we are bumping into our new limit!   The way we use our phones has not changed one bit.  But, now I'm paying a lot more than promised.

In searching the internet and this forum, it is obvious that the I Phone operating system is the culprit. Yet, the Verizon salesperson did not say a thing about the odds we'd need to buy 6-7x the amount of data that we had used with Samsungs.    Throughout this forum, there are multiple manual fixes to help slow data usage.  Frankly, that is BS.  With Samsung and Android, there was no need to worry about manually toggling off apps, or toggling them on to check for new emails, posts, or information.

Verizon, if you're listening, I want you to take back the I Phones and give us Samsungs OR agree to the contract price I signed two months ago in the belief and encouragement from your salesperson that 6gb would be plenty of data for our family.  Apple, if you're listening, fix your software.

Like others in this forum, I have filed a complaint with the Michigan Attorney General's office.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I Phone 6 Costly Mistake
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

They won't allow you to exchange your phones because you are far beyond the exchange/return period. Just being realistic with you. Not knowing what specific devices you were using before the switch it's hard to say if there are reasons (including setting changes you may need to make) that can explain your data increases. You can possibly sell your devices to offset purchasing the ones that you want to switch to. You can try some of the suggestions you have come across to see if those help (especially some of the settings). The main one would be to limit background activity on apps if it isn't necessary. It may seem like a pain but if you're serious about eliminating your data drain you honestly might want to do so...at least until you decide on your next step.

It never hurts to ask for what you want but be prepared for the reality that you may not get it. Your issues aren't related to a defect from what it sounds like (and which would be dealt with via manufacturers warranty) and it's not a service failure (as far as Verizon failing to provide services you pay for). It's a huge disappointment clearly and frustrating but if there are "fixes" available then you have to try those before you decide there is a unfixable problem. Some of us fellow customers can try to help you adjust settings to try and alleviate the issue if you're willing to try. Otherwise, you need to direct your request to Verizon directly (this is a peer to peer forum with occasional input from Verizon employees...which are clearly identified by their user names)

0 Likes
SturgisMI

Thanks very much for your reply. My beef is legal. Verizon knows that I Phone 6's use a ton more data and therefore will cost customers a lot more monthly, yet the salesperson did not point this out even though we spoke at length about data usage on our old phones. It is a misleading sales practice that will not sit well with the AG.  Apple knows that their phone's operating system uses a multiple of data as used by competitor phones--yet, it does not divulge that information.  I'm not going to spend the next four years (nor am I going to ask my family members) to continually manage their phone's data usage manually...especially when Android has it figured out.  Appreciate your reply.  Interested in whether any other users in the community have the same beef.

[removed]

|

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

|  |

I Phone 6 Costly Mistake

created by kaebfly in iPhone 6 - View the full discussionThey won't allow you to exchange your phones because you are far beyond the exchange/return period. Just being realistic with you. Not knowing what specific devices you were using before the switch it's hard to say if there are reasons (including setting changes you may need to make) that can explain your data increases. You can possibly sell your devices to offset purchasing the ones that you want to switch to. You can try some of the suggestions you have come across to see if those help (especially some of the settings). The main one would be to limit background activity on apps if it isn't necessary. It may seem like a pain but if you're serious about eliminating your data drain you honestly might want to do so...at least until you decide on your next step.  It never hurts to ask for what you want but be prepared for the reality that you may not get it. Your issues aren't related to a defect from what it sounds like (and which would be dealt with via manufacturers warranty) and it's not a service failure (as far as Verizon failing to provide services you pay for). It's a huge disappointment clearly and frustrating but if there are "fixes" available then you have to try those before you decide there is a unfixable problem. Some of us fellow customers can try to help you adjust settings to try and alleviate the issue if you're willing to try. Otherwise, you need to direct your request to Verizon directly (this is a peer to peer forum with occasional input from Verizon employees...which are clearly identified by their user names) Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in iPhone 6 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

E-Mail header removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

There are others that have your beef...and have filed complaints with their AG and I believe the FCC. This isn't a new complaint yet hasn't garnered any resolution as far as with AG's and the FCC. Maybe you will get some luck in that area so I wish you well. I personally use the iPhone 6 plus and have been using iPhones on Verizon since they finally started selling them and also on AT&T up until last year (work phone). The iPhone didn't perform any differently on VZW than on AT&T so I don't think this is a carrier issue. To be fair though, my Verizon iPhones have an unlimited data plan so I don't need to watch my usage. I do, but it's not because I have to manage it. I have never had an issue with my phone suddenly using more data than it used to unless I use my hotspot feature. No, I don't constantly have to adjust my settings. It was done once and for the most part I never have to mess with settings unless I add a new app and need to adjust a setting I originally rejected. So the idea that you would have to do so for 4 years (I assume you tend to keep your phones for 4 years since you aren't contractually tied to them for that long) is a bit of a stretch. Again, I get the frustration but there isn't much anyone on here is going to be able to do for you if you're unwilling to do anything on your end. Hopefully you'll get some resolution from your methods but if you want to speak to Verizon directly you will need to do so outside of this forum. Unless you wish you wait for a rep to respond.

rcschnoor
Legend

SturgisMI wrote:

Thanks very much for your reply. My beef is legal. Verizon knows that I Phone 6's use a ton more data and therefore will cost customers a lot more monthly, yet the salesperson did not point this out even though we spoke at length about data usage on our old phones.

I would have to disagree. Having an iPhone 6 DOES NOT mean you will be using a "ton more data". There are plenty of people who are able to use iPhone 6s with NO increase in data consumption vs android devices. I currently have 2 iPhone 6s on my account. One is on a line constantly and the other switches back/forth with an android device. I also have 1 Droid Maxx on another line and an iPhone 5S on a 4th line. We do not "toggle off apps" or any sort of manual fixes to prevent data usage. We simply use our phones.

Current data usage with 4 lines using smartphones and 6 days left in current billing cycle is a total of 6.2 GB

Last month(August), total usage = 7.74 GB

July total = 13.52 GB simply because my daughter HAD to stream an HD movie on her phone to the tune of ~ 5 GB.

June total = 5.57 GB

May total = 6.95 GB

April total = 3.03 GB

March total = 3.48 GB

I have seen these stories of excess data usage ever since the iPhone 5 was released. I have had every model of iPhone on my account since the iPhone 4S and have NEVER experienced any of these excess data occurrences. That would be a total of 6 different iPhones. If the problem was as widespread as you claim, I should have statistically had at least ONE phone with this problem, yet I have not.

You can certainly TRY legal action, I don't think you will be very successful. There are MANY people who seem to get by just fine. I tend to think it is more likely a problem with managing the settings on your phone and/or how you use the device.

Good luck.

0 Likes
SturgisMI

Thank you for your reply!  As I mentioned, though, we use our I Phones just like we used our Androids.  6x the data.  I work from a home office and my phone is on wifi almost exclusively...yet, my own phone's data consumption this month (through 21 days is 3gb!).  I turned off cellular data on Saturday and except for an hour here or there, have not had it back on, yet data is still churning through the meter.

[removed]

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

|  |

I Phone 6 Costly Mistake

created by rcschnoor in iPhone 6 - View the full discussion

SturgisMI wrote: Thanks very much for your reply. My beef is legal. Verizon knows that I Phone 6's use a ton more data and therefore will cost customers a lot more monthly, yet the salesperson did not point this out even though we spoke at length about data usage on our old phones.

I would have to disagree. Having an iPhone 6 DOES NOT mean you will be using a "ton more data". There are plenty of people who are able to use iPhone 6s with NO increase in data consumption vs android devices. I currently have 2 iPhone 6s on my account. One is on a line constantly and the other switches back/forth with an android device. I also have 1 Droid Maxx on another line and an iPhone 5S on a 4th line. We do not "toggle off apps" or any sort of manual fixes to prevent data usage. We simply use our phones. Current data usage with 4 lines using smartphones and 6 days left in current billing cycle is a total of 6.2 GB Last month(August), total usage = 7.74 GB July total = 13.52 GB simply because my daughter HAD to stream an HD movie on her phone to the tune of ~ 5 GB. June total = 5.57 GB May total = 6.95 GB April total = 3.03 GB March total = 3.48 GB I have seen these stories of excess data usage ever since the iPhone 5 was released. I have had every model of iPhone on my account since the iPhone 4S and have NEVER experienced any of these excess data occurrences. That would be a total of 6 different iPhones. If the problem was as widespread as you claim, I should have statistically had at least ONE phone with this problem, yet I have not. You can certainly TRY legal action, I don't think you will be very successful. There are MANY people who seem to get by just fine. I tend to think it is more likely a problem with managing the settings on your phone and/or how you use the device. Good luck.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in iPhone 6 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

E-Mail header removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes