I received a used iPhone 5S today and took it to Verizon Wireless so I could get a sim card with my number inserted into it. It was a gift from an Uncle, and he told me it was Unlocked. So that is what I told the Associate at Verizon Wireless. He told me
cassideyelizabeth

I need help regarding a iPhone 5S and CDMA / GSM network issues.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I received a used iPhone 5S today and took it to Verizon Wireless so I could get a sim card with my number inserted into it. It was a gift from an Uncle, and he told me it was Unlocked. So that is what I told the Associate at Verizon Wireless. He told
mama23dogs
Legend

Carrier unlocked iphone 5S were still shipped with different model numbers for 4 different network configurations.

EIther Verizon, Sprint, domestic GSM (AT&T or T- Mobile) or international.

IF it is a GSM phone, it won't work on Verizon.

NOw the iphone 6 and 6+ is a different story.  The unlocked version from Apple can be used on any carrier.

the only thing you can do is ebay the phone and replace it with a Verizon version, or take the cash and add a bit and get the 6 from Apple.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I received a used iPhone 5S today and took it to Verizon Wireless so I could get a sim card with my number inserted into it. It was a gift from an Uncle, and he told me it was Unlocked. So that is what I told the Associate at Verizon Wireless. He told
cassideyelizabeth

I'm sorry - I wasn't aware my actual question was going to be the header of this conversation. I am a Verizon Wireless account holder (obviously) and I just received a used iPhone 5S from a family member who told me it was "unlocked". I took it to the nearest Verizon Wireless store, and the associate was about to give me a Verizon Wireless microchip sim card until I told him it was Unlocked. He wondered if the packaging was the original, because apparently the serial code on it indicates that it in fact is not compatible with their CDMA network. I had the impression that it was Unlocked meaning it would work with any carrier? Is this not the case? Is there anything I can do?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Carrier unlocked iphone 5S were still shipped with different model numbers for 4 different network configurations.

EIther Verizon, Sprint, domestic GSM (AT&T or T- Mobile) or international.

IF it is a GSM phone, it won't work on Verizon.

NOw the iphone 6 and 6+ is a different story.  The unlocked version from Apple can be used on any carrier.

the only thing you can do is ebay the phone and replace it with a Verizon version, or take the cash and add a bit and get the 6 from Apple.

0 Likes