Is there any way I can upgrade early? Considering canceling contract..
trember3

My current upgrade date is 10/26. I bought the very first iPhone for Verizon (iPhone 4) the day it came out. This put my 2-year contract renewal date about a month after the iPhone 5 came out. It took lots of searching to locate an iPhone 5 in stock by the time my upgrade date rolled around. I am trying to see if I can avoid having to do this again with the iPhone 6, as my contract end date falls about a month too late once again. I have been a faithful Verizon customer for 10 years. If Verizon cannot move up my upgrade date I am going to switch to T-Mobile, who will pay my early termination fees from Verizon, allow me to order the iPhone 6 NOW, and has much lower monthly access rates. I don't understand why Verizon doesn't reward its loyal customers and would allow them to walk away after being a customer for a decade. Step up Verizon! Someone in customer service please help...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is there any way I can upgrade early? Considering canceling contract..
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You're not eligible for upgrade yet so they aren't wrong for not allowing early upgrade. You can pay full retail (which you would be doing with T-Mobile) if you want it now versus waiting. You may be able to do the Edge program (I don't know how that works but it's something you can check in to). Those might currently be your only option other than perhaps adding a line (might not be something that's really worth it for you).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You're not eligible for upgrade yet so they aren't wrong for not allowing early upgrade. You can pay full retail (which you would be doing with T-Mobile) if you want it now versus waiting. You may be able to do the Edge program (I don't know how that works but it's something you can check in to). Those might currently be your only option other than perhaps adding a line (might not be something that's really worth it for you).

0 Likes
trember3

I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to shorten my contract. I just want the ability to upgrade my device and extend my current contract by another 2 years. I pre-ordered an iPhone 6 on a new line for my girlfriend (who I am brining over from Sprint). It just seems odd to me that someone who has never paid a dime to Verizon can get an iPhone 6 for the discounted price, but I have given Verizon 10 years of business and can't upgrade until the end of next month. I'm sure the device will be hard to come by at that point, just like the iPhone 5....

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

It's not odd at all. When you were a new customer you were able to get a discounted phone also...and had not paid a dime to the company at that time. In exchange for that you were asked to sign a contract. Same concept with the phone you just got on a new line for your gf. And 22 months from now (unless you did the Edge) if a new phone comes out and she wants it she will be in the same situation. Unable to upgrade until her actual eligibility date came. You understand the concept because you pointed it out. You just need to recognize that it's really no different for her being a new customer now to when you were a new one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

trember3,

We truly understand how exciting the release of new phones are. We do not want to see you go. I do apologize as upgrades are only able to be processed on the actual upgrade date. Are you looking into upgrading early due to issues with your current device? Kaebfly, has presented some great options of either purchasing the device at full retail or looking into your Edge eligibility. Keep in mind if you purchase the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus at full retail you can still take advantage of the trade in promotion, as long as your device is in good working condition. Check out the trade in promotion here... http://bit.ly/GGnDDC

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes