Re: New No contract/unlocked Apple iphone 6 on Verizon?
mcdrse

Yeah it would be nice to hear from someone who has tried this.  That blurb seems like it would work.  I am just wondering why Apple told me it would only work on 3g with verizon.  could it be that i only have a 3g phone now?  i woupdnt be opposed to buy the full retail price vzw unlocked phone from apple but would want to make sure it would work on different carriers if i decided to switch

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It makes no sense that 3G would work and not LTE based on specs of the phone.  If anything Tidbits is thinking the same as me, is would 3G work which is the CDMA component.  

The VZW phone is unlocked and can be used on Tmo, AT&T, and all the MVNO except Sprint and those that use the Sprint network.  It will also work with International SIMS, with some LTE incompatibility with some providers, especially in China.  HSPA+ would work everywhere as fallback.  

The SIM. Free version from Apple would fix these. LTE holes That use a TD-LTE technology, like China. 

0 Likes
Dk36021

I just bought the iPhone 6Plus unlocked from Apple, I was able to swap the SIM card out and the iPhone worked right out of the box. I did go online and update the IMEI # on my account as well. I have LTE service visual voicemail and see no loss of any service so far

0 Likes
ethancedrik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, hopefully this will be enough to answer this. I have heard about this for a while now and it got me curious, so I persistent ly researched it and here's what I have

the unlocked "t-mobile" iPhone 6 sold through Apple is unlocked, and it will work with Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile US. It actually has the same model number as the ones Verizon is selling, model A1549. Unlike the iPhone 5S, the T-Mobile Unlocked  iPhone doesn't have its CDMA radio disabled, so it will work in Verizon, BUT only if you have an already active Verizon 4G LTE SIM card already set up for a previous Verizon LTE device (such as an iPhone 5c, etc).

However if you just bought the T-Mobile Unlocked iPhone 6, and want to activate it, go into a Verizon store and ask for a SIM card and for them to activate, they wont do it because that phones IMEI (not MEID. that is for 3G and stored on the sim card) is unknown in their system so they can't add it as a new phone under a new line to an account. The only way you can use the unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 is to already have an active Verizon 4G LTE SIM card set up for a current LTE device, and take that SIM card and put it in the new unlocked iPhone. I also believe that it won't update as you having an iPhone 6 in their system so when you call them they might think you still have your old phone. Visual Voicemail might also be a bit iffy.

I have not done this myself but there is are multiple articles online about this working and here http://youtu.be/r_ispNVHmQY is a YouTube video where a guy demonstrates this in action

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

MEID is generally 1 less digit than the IMEI IIRC.

ethancedrik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, yeah just checked this on my phone the MEID is the IMEI minus the 5 at the end

0 Likes
ethancedrik
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my Verizon iPhone 6 it shows the MEID and IMEI, I wonder if that is the case for people using the unlocked phone with a GSM only sim. That would also prove the unlocked phone is CDMA capable and thus can be used on Verizon

Weth
Legend

Your understanding is correct.  You will see your line as" Non Verizon Device" when you do this.   It all works though. 

The SIM free unlocked phone that Apple just started selling is a different model than the A1549, and even more universal, and also works. 

0 Likes
wynnnj1977
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, I just went to apple store to buy unlocked SIM-free iphone 6 (model A1586) yesterday with full price, then I went to Verizon Store next door to activate my current unlimited data line. The staff at Verizon store will give you a new nano SIM card, everything works perfect. I still have unlimited LTE data on iphone 6. So, yes! you will get unlimited 4G LTE data.

0 Likes
wynnnj1977
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, it works with my iphone 6 (I have unlimited data plan), it shows LTE most of the time and very fast. You will love it.

0 Likes