Problem with IPhone 5 headphone port?
buckeyegirl

My headphones will not work unless I hold the connector in the port, anyone else having this problem? This is my first iphone and I'm new to verizon so I'm not sure what to do? Can they help me at the verizon store or do I need to make an appointment at the apple store (it's about an hour away!) Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problem with IPhone 5 headphone port?
anthonyb861
Contributor - Level 2

Are you sure the head phone jack is all the way in the phone?

buckeyegirl

yes, I checked that, the socket almost feels too loose? I tried my husbands ear buds too just to make sure that wasn't it and I couldn't get them to work either.

0 Likes
anthonyb861
Contributor - Level 2

Then most likely it's your phone. I'd call or go to set an appointment with apple.

0 Likes
JudyGustafson

I have a one week old iphone 5 and i have the same problem. Today I wanted to listen to some itunes on my new phone, for the first time. Right away, there was a problem - no sound through those cute new earbuds! So I tried another headset, but it didn't work so it must be the jack.

Here is what happens: When I plug in, sometimes there is sound through the earphone but it quickly stops and goes back to the iphone speakers and then the song on itunes stops playing. No amount of jiggling the jack around or pushing it in farther/pulling it out a bit works to solve the problem. It happens with both types of headphones that I tried.

Obviously it's the port. I looked on the internet and found a guy in Denmark with the same problem with an iphone 4. He showed via YouTube that there are two contacts within the port, one to switch between the speakers and the headset and the other contact for turning itunes on/off. It seems to me that there is a problem with those contacts within the port. He shows you how to take apart the phone (uh no thanks, gosh) and clean the contacts, but that is not something I think I'll try since this phone is brand new.

I am not happy about this.

Do I take it to Verizon (somehow I don't think so because I bet all they will do is send it back) or do I take it to an Apple store? I bought their Apple care thing.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

JudyGustafson;     Take it to an Apple store.  They will help you especially since your phone is covered by their AppleCare program. 

Good luck

0 Likes
iphonefiveme

I have the same problem just noticed, its like the headphone jack is too big or something, headphones just fall out.  This is a bummer after I just put the screen protector on it

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You might Want to See this it might be a Little informative for Ya it's the Tear Down of the iPhone 5 and i Picture Via ifixit of the Port Jack in Question..  the Hole Tear Down is Available Via the Links i Provided

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlUQfXwvQLc

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/1

Here is the Plug in Jacks Portion of the iPhone 5  the one on the far Left is the 3.5 Jack for Headphones..

standard image 3

0 Likes
Pariyah
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just got my iPhone 5 today. Same issue. No headphones that I've tried will work. Anyone had luck getting this fixed?

0 Likes
Wm_

Same issue here, brand new phone

I thought it was operator error at first but I see that this may be common

0 Likes