Purchasing Ring Tones iPhone vs. Verizon vs. iTunes
oneemi
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I finally bit the bullet and I am enjoying my new iPhone of 2 days! Why is it so hard to spend money on the Verizon website?! I belong to the "fortunate ones" whose children pay their parents phone bills! However, the extras etc. I want to handle...

My child pays the bill so I CANNOT SIGN INTO MY OLD VERIZON ACCOUNT. iT WILL SCREW UP HER ACCOUNT....

I don't want to start getting the emails and bills that belong to her family, and she certainly does not need that inconvienence.

Please tell me HOW do I BUY ringtones from Verizon without signing in? Of course, it will not allow me to sign in and I have had bad luck in the past by entering my number without an active billing account. It would be a good idea to have a store option open for us folk.

I guess I will try making a ring tone, but I wanted the NO Hassle tonight at midnight!  Would anyone like to address what program I might use on my Windows 7 ???  Thank you very much for your or any reply!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Purchasing Ring Tones iPhone vs. Verizon vs. iTunes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As far as your previous ringtone purchases...were they on your old account or were they purchased on your daughters account? If they were purchased on your old account then you wouldn't be able to have access to those anyway since that account is no longer active. You can try contacting Verizon but those are honestly probably just lost for good. If purchasing ringtones on your daughters account isn't a problem and you have access to log on to it you should be able to log on to it and make purchases. Not sure of the exact process because I make my own ringtones via iTunes but there should be some info available on the website. Or you can contact vzw to get am some clear info about what you can do. Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you would rather buy your ringtones than make them then you can purchase ringtones via iTunes...this won't affect your daughters VZW account at all. You would be using your own iTunes account (unless you don't have one...but in that case you can create one for free on your computer and log into it on your iPhone within settings--->store). Then you can either have a credit/debit card attached to your iTunes account for purchases or buy iTunes cards instead (the method I have used for years because I prefer not to have my CC on file). If you don't have iTunes downloaded to your computer already you can do that for free by going to apple.com/itunes.

0 Likes
oneemi
Enthusiast - Level 1

iTunes... that's what was so weird tonight. I ran all over iTunes and could not find ring tones that I could purchase by song by the group i wanted! Searched all over the site, but it just kept taking me to a tiny group that i care nothing about! and, Verizon, as i stated above, would not let me unless I signed into 'our' account....  All i wanted to do was download a song I had paid for 2x before when I changed to new phones! but, there is no record of my ring tone purchase 2x !!!!

iTunes.... I NEVER update any more because it took my "legitimate/legal" copies of my music after a new version was downloaded and froze my music~ like I can't do anything with my music library if i am online!  It tries to authenticate my library and that's hard to do when your computer has crashed, etc... and their record keeping hasn't been all that good. So, what's the trick on the new versions of iTunes? How do you keep your library when they wipe it all out with new versions of iTunes? ..... yeah, another board....

However, I learned the most in the shortest period of time on the web EVER!  Thanks to the link I found in this discussion board, I have downloaded my first Ring Tone! yea!!! SWEEEEET!  http://cnettv.cnet.com/free-custom-ringtones-text-tones-ios-5/9742-1_53-50113469.html    So, just call me HAPPY CAMPER tonight and thanks 'all' for the suggestions & help.

I discovered how easy it is to make your own Tunes and have begun to do so. Loving this new iPhone!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not really sure what could have possibly happened with your experience with iTunes in the past...if your computer crashed and you didn't do routine backups of your library (either using discs or an external hard drive) then your music would have been lost. Not sure if that's what you're saying happened though. If it was then unfortunately that was a mistake on your part because apple did not at that time store your purchases or allow you to redownload your purchases. Depending on how old your iTunes version is on your computer then the differences of the latest iTunes would be vastly different. You can go to the apple.com website to read more about it to see if it helps. If you currently use the the iCloud feature then you will have access to any of your iTunes purchases and can redownload them to any iOS device you may have or to your computer but you will need to update your iTunes for the ability to download past items to your computer. If you aren't using iClouds then you would need to use iTunes on the computer for any device backups or syncing. Ultimately, if you aren't familiar with current iTunes capabilities or iCloud (or any other features associated with iOS 5 and your new iPhone) then you would greatly benefit from looking the owners manual for your iPhone. You can find it on the apple website at www.apple.com/support and clicking on the manuals link...there your should find the manual for your device which you can save to your computer for future viewing or just go to the site as needed. You can also view the manual on your iPhone by going to Safari on your iPhone and looking at the bookmarks that has the user guide as one of the bookmarks. Sorry if I misunderstood what trouble or issues you were saying you had with iTunes in the past. Glad you were able to find whatever you needed to get the ringtone you wanted.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As far as your previous ringtone purchases...were they on your old account or were they purchased on your daughters account? If they were purchased on your old account then you wouldn't be able to have access to those anyway since that account is no longer active. You can try contacting Verizon but those are honestly probably just lost for good. If purchasing ringtones on your daughters account isn't a problem and you have access to log on to it you should be able to log on to it and make purchases. Not sure of the exact process because I make my own ringtones via iTunes but there should be some info available on the website. Or you can contact vzw to get am some clear info about what you can do. Good luck!

0 Likes
oneemi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally located older versions of backed up iTunes and ran full backup & restore etc.  I continued to have problems locating and buying tones, but when I discovered how EASY it is to make them myself, I'm happy now! I did let a few run too long and have to go back and edit them shorter so they will work....  Created them in iTunes.

Verizon account is old and OLD things don't last forever...   I did not want my daughter's account charged, so I gave up on trying to locate an old account. I did however, for some reason, believe that ring tones I paid for would be available for download again but they are not.

Surfing and reading and learning. Today was a better "understanding how things work" day!  and, All the feedback was read and appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What I would do is just make your own.  Smiley Happy I have like 400 ringtones from the days of the Nokia 5100's  to present times lol

oneemi
Enthusiast - Level 1

P.S. I did not understand that iTunes was not connecting files and the disconnected files made it IMPOSSIBLE to play my thousands of tunes!  I've been at it for years and it's disturbing to think your music library was lost in space or gone forever! Finding my backups solved the broken links in iTunes.

0 Likes
oneemi
Enthusiast - Level 1

We may need to begin a new thread here, but i want to ask you about something i saw but can't find now! iCloud... A review about someone losing all their music that was on or in the iCloud! I don't understand how that happens from what i have learned so far, but under a review somewhere under iPhone was a disgruntled owner who said they lost all their music files because they broke? their phone? so, ???? i'm still trying to find that review. CAN you lose your iCloud storage?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I am not aware of how you could lose your music (iTunes purchases) in the iCloud but if the person lost music that was not purchased via iTunes (such as music they added from CDs or other sources) and they did not have that music backed up in their iTunes library on a computer and/or backed up somewhere else then they could have lost that. There is a service that can be used to match non-iTunes music and provide a copy of that music in the cloud but it requires an annual fee I believe. I don't use it because I have all of my music backed up due to having used iTunes for years and being used to doing periodic backups of the library just in case something happened to my computer (long before the iCloud options existed). I was in a car accident Saturday and my iPhone 4 was damaged (my car flipped and landed upside down yet I walked away with no serious injuries so a broken iPhone was the least of my worries). I was able to restore the iPhone 4s I got as a replacement (thanks to my car insurance) with the backup of my iPhone 4 via the iCloud and did not lose my music so...I really don't know what could have happened with the person you read a complaint about.

0 Likes