Puregear screen "protector" issues
kluckit

Clearly you must have a partnership with puregear but you should at least drop their screen protectors. Overall terrible quality. Went through all three trying to install and got it on my last try by manually picking apart the protector from the application tab.

No dust, clean application and everything but it looks TERRIBLE. The glare protection is non-existent. If the ipod happens to be tilted directly at the light source it looks just like gas on blacktop.

Not only that, but you charge just over $11 for the three pack when you can get it online for $7. That one's on me but the rest is on you. It's ridiculous to have to feel frustrated before even being able to use the greatest phone ever...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Puregear screen "protector" issues
echo2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried the PureGear and they were junk on my iPhone, so I bought the Crystal Clear protectors from Power Support, best screen protectors I've ever had, you don't even know theres one on the phone, great protect.  The only way to get the Crystal Clear ones is online at the power support site, a bit pricey but worth every cent.  Apple retail stores sell the complete lineup except the Crystal Clear line, not sure why.

0 Likes
PureGearInfo

We at PureGear are sorry for these issues you are having. We want PureGear end users to have a good experience with our products. I am happy to send you replacements, or better yet, our new PureTek Polyurethane roller system (video link below). If you wish to try this product, please send me your address and I will send out today. Only available for Iphone 4 at this time.

{edited for privacy}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYlQzlpqkSU&feature=channel_video_title

0 Likes
echo2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've sent you a PM, I'd like to try these new protectors.

0 Likes
echo2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wanted to say that PureGearInfo replied to my PM, and within the same day has sent me the newest product they are offering for the iPhone 4...now that's awesome customer service!  Once I receive them I'll do a mini review in this thread on them.  Thank You,PureGearInfo for the quick response!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I'd also like to say that I sent an email to the Puregear rep in this thread and requested that I receive a replacement. I provided my info on 12/16/11 and received the new PureTek Roll-On Screen Shield Kit on 12/19/11. I have installed it, but will wait the 24-48 hrs suggested to allow the film to cure before giving a review. I will state that the response and shipment time was very fast.

0 Likes
letlove_0921
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also recieved this new product. The response from puregear was super fast! There are not many companies these days that will try and make all their customers happy. I have to say applying the screen protector was super easy and super fast. No issues with applying it. There were no headaches having to try and lift it and replace it down trying to get it perfect. I had no issues with the bubbles and there's nothing on the screen.

I would highly recommend this prodect to anyone looking for a screen protector! 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Ok, so here is my quick review of the new PureTek Roll-On Protector Screen Shield Kit that I was sent to try out. As mentioned before, I received the product quickly...much quicker than expected since I was contacted on a Freiday and received the protector on Monday morning (I was told to expect it by Wednesday). I opened the package and read the instructions completely AND viewed the suggested install video prior to doing my own installation. The kit comes with a plastic tray with the screen shield attached to the top of it over the opening that you are supposed to place your iPhone in to. This is meant to ensure self alignment according to the package. There is a shield separator under the top of the shield. The kit also includes application roller.

My application didn't go a seamlessly as I had expected even after watching the video, but I'm not sure if this is something that would happen to others on a regular basis. For me, the shield did not align properly (it shifted enough that the home button was partially covered when it should not have been) so I had to slowly pull the shield up and manually re-align it to get it on straight. Since the material is thinner than the old screen protectors I was worried that it would stretch out and not fit correctly. I was able to get it on but it had a lot of air bubbles on it. I tried going over it repeatedly with the application roller to remove the bubbles but was not able to get them all out. This is a picture of the screen after trying to work the bubbles out. The lines you see are from the application roller.

2photoedit.jpg

According to the instructions, "Within 24-48 hours, the adhesive of the DrySeal film will cure and nay haze or bubbles that may have appeared will vanish". So I decided to not panick and let the time pass before worrying. Using my iPhone while these bubbles were present wasn't impossible to to do but it did affect some of the screen responses. It also made viewing some parts of the screen blurry...especially when viewing anything on a white background. The texture of the screen was somewhat annoying so I did spend a significant amount of time trying to work the bubbles out during the 24-48 hour wait. Today is the 23rd and all of the bubbles still have not gone way but I was able to work out some of them. I will likely go out and purchase another screen protector (probably a different brand since I don't know if you can find this in stores yet and I don't want to order it) after Christmas Day since I can't imagine leaving this one on in the state that it's in without it annoying me. Again, I stress that I don't know if what happened during my install is "normal" so I can't say this is something anyone considering this product should expect. I also think the issue with my shield and the bubbles I had are tied to the fact that I had to pull the proctector back up in order to align it correctly.

Overall, I think the concept is good although I wonder if they will provide refills for the tray to avoid so much wasted packaging being trashed. I think the quality of the material used to create the shield is better than the original...although it is thinner (more like other brands such as Zagg) so anyone used to the stiff and "thick" feel of the old protector may be surprised. With this shield boasting "Hard Coating treatment, Industrial Strength Film, Self healing technology, and Long-lasting Adhesive" plus the limited lifetime warranty (can't recall if the old protectors offered this) it does seem to be an improvement to the originals. The only issue is if you have a poor experience with installing your shield you won't have a backup to try and do it again since this kit only comes with one shield. So as with any other install be extremely careful so you can try to get the best results. You can see a little more about this product at the link below...and view the short install video. http://www.pure-gear.com/puretektm-roll-on-screen-shield-kit-for-iphone-4s-4.html

This isn't the most glowing of reviews and I would never suggest basing your decision to try it out on my review alone since I can't say if my issues are what you should expect to have happen. I just wanted to share my experience with anyone interested. I also provided my feedback to the person at PureGear that shipped me the shield kit as I was asked to do in the email I received from the company. Hopefully anyone else that received a shield kit will also share their experience. I'm hoping my experience is the exception!

UPDATE 1/11/2012:

I contacted the person that offered the free sample of the screen shield roll-on kit to let them know what my experience was and was eventually emailed back letting me know that another kit would be sent to me. I received that kit today, but have not attempted to re-install again. When I do I will follow up again with what my experience is. I will say that the company seems to really care about satisfying customers or proving that this new product is improved. That is one fact that I can give glowing reviews about. Sending another free kit is above and beyond  any expectations that I could have ever had. Let's hope that this time I end up with better results!

echo2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the delay in posting my mini review, it's been crazy around here during these holidays.  I have to admit that my experience was about the same as yours kaebfly, except I had way more bubbles that never went away, and installing was a real drag...the applicator kept pushing the protector on sideways for me, it was very frustrating.  After 4 days I had to remove it as it was an eyesore and the function of the phone was affected to a degree of more frustration.  I actually sacrificed one of my Power Support protectors to give this a chance, hopefully PureGear can refine this product and it's application.

NANWAM8

I had my screen protector on for like 4 hrs and thr top is starting to bubble. The glue that they use is Terrible quality i ordered a better quality. Off of amazon 

0 Likes