Sim Still locked after 60 day period
LaplaceDemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a new 11 pro but moved internationally for work before 60 day lock period expired. I was assured by customer service phone would unlock regardless of network after 60 days. It did not. 
the lock message did change slightly after 60 days but result is same. 

it's currently a lovely brick. 

I would love to see internal documentation that rationalized changing locking policy in july 2019 in light of corporate credo of customer over corporation. The claim from customer service was that this protects against theft. If that is true what are statistics on theft and how have they declined with new policy? The policy certainly isn't helping this customer of 16 years.

Pretty devious not to emphasize critical functional changes to customer agreements at time of sale. I never would have purchased from Verizon had I known. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sim Still locked after 60 day period
LaplaceDemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

If anyone is insterested the solution is to request a "Tier 2" technician and then apparently they can force push the unlock. 

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LaplaceDemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for being the 7th person to forward the policy. Not helpful.

it appears much like activating WiFi calls that you must be on a Verizon network at time of unlock, though that is very clearly not in the policy you forwarded .

I'm 112 days from purchase and 73 from receipt/activation and the device remains locked. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a primarily a peer to peer public community forum and not a direct link to Customer Service. No one is going to post the internal documents on why the policy was changed. Even if a person had access to the documents, they couldn't post them or they would be in violation of any nondisclosure agreement they are bound to from their employer and could lose their job.

You never indicated that you had received the Unlocking Policy previously. This thread you created was the first time you had posted on the community forum. 

At the time of the policy change, a number of tech sites that follow Verizon Wireless and the other carriers had articles about the policy change. Some of them might have had comments from the Verizon Wireless public relations department that may or may not have more details on why the policy was changed. I would suggest that you search for those articles or you could reach out the international customer service number or the Verizon Wireless executive relations for additional assistance in possibly getting your phone unlocked. 

Perhaps next time you should consider purchasing only the unlocked models from the manufacturer instead of the carrier branded models if you are going to be using your phones internationally so soon after purchasing. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LaplaceDemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the lecture. I think perhaps you missed my point. I don't think the policy change was in the customer interest. 

How's this for direct user questions:

Has anyone else had a phone that remains locked past the specified period? Specifically while international.

what might the technical problem be?

where in customer service can I point this problem? Other than international customer service which is open 10pm to 6am my time. 

everyone in cust serv I've talked to just says it should be unlocked but won't specify how that unlock occurs or what to do next .

presumably if I canceled my policy that would be enacted wherever I was so how is deactivating a sim and unlocking a phone different.

If I don't get an answer I'll set an alarm for international customer service. Perhaps you can understand my frustration.

Global support can be reached at the following number but international roaming charges apply 908-559-4899 

additionally if interested the Verizon corporate credo can be found here:

0 Likes
LaplaceDemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

If anyone is insterested the solution is to request a "Tier 2" technician and then apparently they can force push the unlock.