Re: Since iOS 8.1 update my phone now shows extended coverage only. Help!!
TennisChic

I just upgraded to iOS 8.1.1 and I now have the Extended notification showing on my phone instead of Verizon. I did not have this when I upgraded to 8.1. I've always had the Verizon name before this upgrade and the location where I am now had the appropriate Verizon Tower signal. I find it hard to believe that I'd be roaming. It has to be an Apple Upgrade Issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TennisChic,

I know how odd it can be for your device to show different coverage. Have you had any issues with signal since the device is showing Extended? What zipcode are you in? What version iPhone do you have?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to the Apple store to troubleshoot the extended network issue as well as my poor battery performance since upgrading to 8.1. We removed my sim card, put it in a brand new iphone 5c, and when it turned on, it showed Verizon. However, this was because that new phone had ios 7 out of the box... once upgraded to 8.1, surprise! It showed extended network.

My battery performance has been SO POOR since upgrading as well. We tested my battery at the Apple store, and it is in good health and performing normally. I've previously "nuked" my phone and done a clean install, and I haven't put even half the apps I had on previously. The only thing that could be possibly killing the battery so quickly is a) bug with the ios 8.1 update or b) the phone is constantly searching for a Verizon tower since it is stuck on Extended network (most likely).

Both Apple and Verizon have been finger pointing for too long on this issue. I CANNOT be the only one experiencing this problem. The Apple store guy said he hadn't heard of it previously... maybe that's because Verizon tells people it doesn't cost extra/it's not roaming/it's a badge issue, so no more questions are raised. Either way, my battery life is dismal and this issue needs to be resolved.

HEY VERIZON AND APPLE: PLEASE STOP PLAYING HOT POTATO AND FIX THIS! It's either the update, or the network. MAYBE TROUBLESHOOT BOTH?!

0 Likes
WasK4qbq

Recently I took my IPhone 5 running IOS 8.1.1 to the Apple store in Sarasota, FL because of battery consumption concerns. They showed my how to decrease battery used by turning off applications running in the background. When they noticed the Extended LTE they tried to fix it but finally gave up and told me to go to Verizon. The folks at Verizon store in Sarasota installed a new sim card and it did fix the problem. They told me to call  the Verizon support number 800-922-0204 and they were initially unable to help. A few days later they called me at home and while we were on the phone the Verizon folks called Apple and they were told by Apple that the problem is in the Apple software. I was told that my phone is displaying Extended LTE BUT it is actually on Verizon 4G. My wife has an iPhone 5S and her phone will display the Extended LTE only when she travels around Sarasota. I have decided to stop asking for help and I will simply wait and hope that the next release of the Apple software will fix the problem

0 Likes
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW, how come I keep getting private messages from "Verizon Employees" asking for my Verizon account password and my phone number in order to check my provisioning?? This has to be some sort of phishing scam. The private massages consistently contain spelling and sentence structure errors...

0 Likes
hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does updating to ios 8.1.1 make any difference with this issue? Have any of you noticed your phone is better or worse after updating to 8.1.1? I am scared to update after this "extended" fiasco when I did the previous update. Any information for those who have updated would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy Thanks!

0 Likes
saraherie
Enthusiast - Level 1

hog66 I was/am having the exact same issue as your original post (iPhone 5 updated to iOS 8.1 and now in "extended" coverage).  I did update to iOS 8.1.1 and there were no changes, good or bad.  I am still showing that I am in extended coverage, but it doesn't appear to have added any new problems Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!!

0 Likes
Apl007

I have a iPhone 5c and I am still stuck in extended. When will there be a fix? Very unhappy with this issue ruining battery life

0 Likes
Uvapnp

I've had the same problem with extended LTE since doing the Apple 8.1 update. I've spent at least  12-13 hours with Verizon and Apple trying to get help. Apple blames Verizon and vice versa. Verizon's only solution is to buy a new phone. What a ridiculous solution !! My phone worked great until doing the update. Its now been 5 weeks and no one has any solutions. This is so frustrating!!!

0 Likes