Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
Guesskey

Well it isn't iCloud.  In 4 days my son's phone has used almost a full gb.  What is going on?  I would say 90% of the time he is on our WiFi. 

0 Likes
magpul89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ive had my iphone 5 for about 11 months. when it was the IOS6 it did fine on data. now every month i get 2 3 or 4 gb overage charges! ive done all the research i can on turning this off, turning that off, reset this, reset that. and still i have overages. The problem is that where ever you go with the Iphone5 or newer, and are on IOS7, and you dont have very good cell coverage, as in regular cell coverage, VERIZON KNOWINGLY supplements the cell coverage with DATA. Granted, this allows you to have service, but it eats your data alive. Ive been having these problems for months and the last tech i talked to on the phone gave me that reason. have crappy cell service? dont worry, vertizon with supplement your coverage with data. EVEN when your connected to WIFI. Because Verizon doesnt combine data and voice anymore, they are able to do this.

Verizon, this is ridiculous. and needs to get fixed. i came to verizon from Tmobile with hopes of better value and i now can see i made a VERY big mistake. my cycle ended yesterday, the 21st and ive apparently already used 1.75 GB of my data. and ive been home on wifi for 2 hours. its 205AM here in seattle. on august 22nd. Thats horse ****.

My phone bill is now 435$, for two phones with 6GB data shared, because of your data overages.

Thank you for not F*$%@!$ me big time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

magpul89

I'm sad to hear about any unexpected data usage! I would love to get to the bottom of this and make sure you only use data when you want to. I do want to advise first since you bill cycle just ended on the 21st, any checking of data usage by dialing #DATA or checking on My Verizon may not be accurate since the reporting is placed on hold while your bill is compiled. If it's still the same high amount come Monday, we definitely need to take a look at what's been going on for the past few days.

In the mean time, let's check what's accessing data on your phone! You can do this by going to Settings>Cellular. At the bottom of this page is a list of all your apps and how much data they've used. At the very bottom of this list is the "Last Reset" date. What date do you have there? What app is using the most data and how much? If you open "System Services", what's using the most data and how much? Once gathering this information, can you choose "Reset Statistics" please? Then, we can monitor what's using data here together.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
magpul89
Enthusiast - Level 2

If Verizon has known about these issues how come you guys have yet to resolve this issue or supplement a standard phone plan with more data? I'm not paying you these overage charges if you guys can't figure out why so many people are getting hit with these overage charges to begin with. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM YET YOU REFUSE TO FIX IT!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Not applicable

Think of this way. Why would they fix it? It is making them MILLIONS of dollars in pure profit.

Until a government agency gets involved to test their data counters and to certify they are accurate, the overages will continue.

Only when and if the government finds fault with the meters will Verizon be forced to fix the data issues.

magpul89
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's bull. I'm about to go to my local news station with this.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think you should read my reply again!

Are you now saying its bull that the government should get involved?

Or that the government should not certify the meters?

Or that Verizon is not making Millions of dollars on the overages?

which is it?

0 Likes
magpul89
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's bull that Verizon is getting away with this shit.

Sent from my iPhone

tbo27
Master - Level 2

Just turn off your cellular data until you need it. When you don't have WiFi turn it back on.  You know like a light switch.

Brezy1013
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know how you feel.  I have the same problem with my 2 iPhone 5c's.  Never had over usage problem until now.  With all the complaints that I see in this forum, I think it is time we get with the Attorney Generals office and file a class action lawsuit charging Verizon with fraudulent overcharges.  I hate that it has to come to this point, but when they actively promote a product that has a defect in programming that overcharges its customers, then they should be held accountable.  First thing Verizon should do is put out a commercial informing the public of their problem.  Second, they should contact all their customers that currently have or had an iPhone 5c and apologize for not handling this sooner!  Third, Verizon should offer rebates to these customers for any overcharge or inconvenience.  Next, Verizon should stop offering these phones until they have fixed the problem, as not to inconvenience any future customer.  Finally, until this bug is corrected, Verizon should offer a minimum 4 times the normal data usage on any wireless plan that has an iPhone 5c to prevent future overcharge.  This is how a company should act:  Customers are number one, and that Verizon stands behind their products and services!  This is the company that I used to know and love.