Unlocking a Tablet for Use on Another Network (as a gift)
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

I paid off and upgraded my iPad 9.7 Pro.  I want to give my older iPad to my brother for his use but he uses a different provider.  I know the IMEI is clean and clear but I can't determine if the tablet is locked to Verizon.  I've seen several posts that tablets are not locked but these are more recent posts and this iPad is now 2 years old.

So, the first question, is there an easy way, without stopping off at stores or making long phone calls, to determine if the tablet is actually locked to Verizon?

Next, if it is locked, does anyone know the process for unlocking so my brother can use this tablet with his particular provider?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlocking a Tablet for Use on Another Network (as a gift)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tk3765,

Sorry about any confusion with the unlocking procedures. It will be unlocked if you used it on a regular monthly billing account for a couple years. Whether or not it will work on another carrier will depend on the technical specs required for that service provider's network. You can learn more about our unlocking policy here: http://vz.to/28YvYZo

Eric_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Verizon does not SIM lock LTE devices.

If it makes you feel better, I purchased an iPhone 5 in early 2013 (the phone was released in 2012) and traveled to Slovakia in Summer 2014. I was able to purchase a SIM in Slovakia and insert it into my phone and connect with no problem. He had an iPhone 5S on AT&T and was NOT able to use the SIM card from Slovakia because AT&T SIM locks their devices.

I can't imagine that iPads would be any different. I also can't imagine that a phone released in 2012 was SIM unlocked and an iPad released in 2015 or 2016 isn't.

To truly tell if it is unlocked, your best bet is to take it to the carrier that you wish to use it on and get a SIM from them.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That appears to be changing. Older LTE devices purchased before this spring should already be unlocked.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon will start locking phones to its network to prevent armed robberies | Ars Technica

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tk3765,

Sorry about any confusion with the unlocking procedures. It will be unlocked if you used it on a regular monthly billing account for a couple years. Whether or not it will work on another carrier will depend on the technical specs required for that service provider's network. You can learn more about our unlocking policy here: http://vz.to/28YvYZo

Eric_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks all Smiley Happy.  I was in the area so stopped by my favorite Verizon store.  They indicated that even if it was locked at first purchase, once paid off it is automatically unlocked.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

That isn't good. I like Verizon because they DON'T lock the phones. It is great for when we travel internationally. I don't have any issues.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There have already been various discussion threads on the forums asking about unlocking the phones and they have all been purchased since this spring. Most of those phones were never activated on the Verizon Wireless network though.

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

That was the sticking point because I paid the iPad off early, about 3 months ahead of schedule so there wasn't two years worth of payments on it. Afer paying it off I had run the IMEI to make sure the system had it cleared but wasn't willing to pay a fee to determine if the tablet was truly unlocked.

The way the CS rep at the store described it was just what I posted..once paid off the device is automatically unlocked.  I did go to the main carrier sites, AT&T and SPRINT, and ran the IMEI and those sites indicated the tablet was eligible for activation.

I know Verizon indicated they were locking phones and tablets for a few months for security at first purchase but I had purchased the iPad before that kicked in and I couldn't get clarification as to whether or not the tablet was unlocked just as a standard 4G device.

Either way, it isn't a simple process to make the determination without spending time on a phone trying to avoid the inevitable questions of, are you leaving, why do you need the device unlocked etc.  Why it has to be such a hidden secret I have no idea.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your feedback sprmankalel. That's not going to change any time soon. As long as your device is active on the Verizon network before you leave the US, you are able to use an international card in almost any country. You can find more details in the link provided. http://spr.ly/6584DUuVM

Tina_VZW

0 Likes