Verizon Wireless Billing Using an IPhone 4s near the Canadian border
RHall01

We summer in Vermont near the Canadian border. When we arrived this year we started incurring enormous global service charges based upon our proximity to Canada. While we have never left the continental U.S. we are being billed as though we're roaming in Canada . When I turn off "global data" I no longer get incoming calls. What gives, and how do I fix it?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless Billing Using an IPhone 4s near the Canadian border
Not applicable

This question had me wonder that in your location the stronger signal is from a roaming company like "Cantel" or "Bell Mobility" however I have never incurred any global roaming charges while in Canada.

my wife and I visit Montreal and we both make and receive calls and use data with nothing more than normal plan usage.

keep cellular data on, but turn roaming off and see if that helps.

That is the settings I use in Canada.

Good Luck

0 Likes
gwynvt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no idea how you are doing that unless you have a plan that gives you some Canadian or global usage. They used to have one for Canada specifically but I think now it is called "global". We live in Vermont and at certain times of the year travel to Canada a lot (ski races and Lacrosse) and while texting never incurred an extra charge any data or voice usage does unless I add a "global" package, which is what I do. The above problem has always bothered me (I didn't know if answering you would get to the person above so I split the answer). I would love to know how you are able to do this in Montreal without paying something additional! In fact somehow according to Verizon my son uses more data in a day while in Canada than he does while in the states, even though I know he turns everything automatic (cloud, roaming, email...) off and connects to wifi whenever he can which is often the majority of the day (ski lodge). Baffling!

0 Likes
Not applicable

In answer to your inquiry, I really have no idea. I know I have had calls to my cell from friends in New York and within Montreal with no additional charges. We have unlimited data so we used email and facebook quite alot as well as text messaging to each other and people in the states. I was surprised as you are.

I even called 611 and spoke to a Verizon Representative and not a Canadian company or representative which struck me as strange.

For most of the years I have driven up to Montreal I had seen something like $1.69 a minute in charges but nothing for our unlimited data use or text messaging. The last two years there has been no $1.69 per minute charges I could look again but the invoice is always the same amount or a few cents lower due to taxes.

Sorry I cannot figure out if its a mistake in billing or I am just lucky

0 Likes
Not applicable

As a follow up, I just checked two years of Verizon invoices and there are no Global Charges on any invoice.

Like I said it only has been in the last two years I have not seen those $1.69 per minute billed to my account.

Go Figure

0 Likes
gwynvt
Enthusiast - Level 2

While I don't have an answer for you I am very familiar with the problem. We live in Vermont and travel to Canada or the northern boarder of Vermont often at certain times of the year. I know based on the notifications I get and then the bills that my son's Iphone as well as my husbands basic phone pick up a Canadian tower and are charged for being in Canada well before they cross the boarder (often when they never actually do cross into Canada during the trip). It has been a real source of frustration for me as well when I know they aren't in Canada but we get charged for roaming in Canada or even worse using data. I have learned to add a "Canada" (I think it may just be global now) package for the time any of us will be in the area. You can add and subtract it whenever you want and while it does cost something it gives you regular usage for a far more reasonable rate than paying by the time or mb. You can even add the package by calling them to include any time you are already showing charges for as long as your billing cycle hasn't closed yet. The other thing you should know is that if you have unlimited texting (and maybe any texting plan) you will not incur any extra charges for texting, it's the one way you can communicate without any added charges. I also get notified by email every time anyone on our plan accesses data (and probably voice but I'm not sure) for the first time each day in Canada. I don't remember if that's something I signed up for or set or if they do it for everyone automatically but it let's me know to remind my son to turn off the cloud and any automatic data stuff as well as to text and not call unless he has to. It also reminds me to put the package on again. That all said, it has always been a frustration to me that I should have to think or pay for any of this when we are in Vermont not Canada since I pay for a National plan that should give me coverage anywhere in the US. Elector is probably correct and a tower in Quebec is stronger than the closest one in Vermont but seems like there should be a way to make sure you are using the US tower, maybe turning off roaming will do that but I'm not sure if it would cut off access to local one in the US as well... While I know many people aren't aware of it Vermont is part of the United States and not Quebec. Sorry for the length here hope you can use some of this info or at least the commiseration. Have a great vacation and enjoy your time here in Vermont!

0 Likes
gwynvt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lucky you! I suppose it could have something to do with the area. While we spend time in Montreal more of it is spend just east of there and I can't say as I have ever checked to see if we are being charged for Canada usage when in Montreal as opposed to the eastern townships...hmmm. It's possible the Canadian charges haven't been while in the Montreal area, I will have to experiment with that this fall. Thanks! Meanwhile just keep enjoying your good fortune and Montreal, it's a great city. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

yep your part of the USA and did you know at one time Vermont was part of New York State? its true.

I think I read Verizon was buying a Canadian cellular company, maybe that will help when that happens.

We are probably going up this weekend and will see if any charges are listed as roaming or global.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RHall01, I understand that it is important to stop your phone from roaming while near the border. We now have a feature that we can add called USA only, that will prevent you from roaming. You can contact customer service to add or respond to my follow request and send me a private message with your name and mobile number.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes